The Great Gatsby, this time in 3D. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Inner Circle

The Great Gatsby, this time in 3D.

Produced just across the harbour, Baz Luhrmanns Great Gatsby will open the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, May 15.

That's black tie, evening dress, tiaras, expensive jewels .. and 3D glasses.

Festival de Cannes - From 15th to 26th May 2013

Lavish sets and scenery all in 3D ..

The Lavish Sets of Baz Lurhmann's The Great Gatsby : Architectural Digest

'Great Gatsby' Director Baz Luhrmann: The Troubled Genius Behind the Film

If there was any of the 120mill left over, Baz and Co are likely to have made up some custom 3D specs for Cannes.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
The Great Gatsby, this time in 3D.-gatsby_3d_glasses_a_l.jpg  
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: The Great Gatsby, this time in 3D.

I really dont understand why they would make this in 3D. I can't imagine it adding anything to the film. That being said, I really want to see this one.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yep. when the Baz Lurhmanns GG was first mooted, the F. Scott Fitzgerald aficianodos recoiled in horror.

Rock music and 3D is not their style, but many have come around and hey! it's the 21st century and a newer audience.

One comment I saw was, the current generation has never heard of author F. Scott and think {the} Charleston is in Sth. Carolina. lol.

Originally it was slated for pre Xmas 2012 US release but Warners sent it back for more polish and push.
The updated version is something to see, shot with Red Epic cameras it'll be a big boost for Red.

Here's the 3rd trailer..

And here's DiCaprios take on the GG, 3D and crew ..

The Great Gatsby - Leonardo DiCaprio Interview Video

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; April 28th, 2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: DeeCaprio
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Did they shoot anything on location? The whole thing looks green screened.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mark, some was blue screen but much was shot outdoors here, some in historic Cenntenial Park ..

Cheers.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was disappointed that the local theater that I usually go to wasn’t showing the 3D version on one of the main screens. They were playing the 2D in their ‘Grand Auditorium.’ I wasn’t sure if that was a comment on the quality of the 3D presentation or what.

Thought I might see if they drop Ironman 3 and pick it up this weekend in 3D possibly. Star Trek 3D IMAX apparently comes out this weekend too. I can’t see spending $30 on movie tickets for one weekend. I may boycott the whole thing and keep my $30. We’ll see.

Edit: Wow! They dropped the 3D all together... only showed it one weekend and they dropped it from the big screens too. Shame!

http://www.warrentheatres.com/mo0518.asp
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Inner Circle

After 700,000 Russians got to see it (?) it opened here May 30 and we finally did yesterday. It's showing on multiple screens here in 3D and 2D.
I thought we should try 3D first because that's my room number :)

So my wife and I headed out to a Super Screen cinema for the 3.30pm show. At the box office both 3D showings were totally booked out for last night ..
but not many for our showing, so we got seats R14+15 in the middle 3/4 way back. I can't imagine anyone coping in A1 or A30.

Interestingly, at the start 1/2way through screening the adverts, they tell you to put on your glasses for the 3D ads. And this where you see
all weird/wild and wonderful 3D effects. The best are the more A class products who can afford it, the worst are just bad.

To the main feature. It's Baz Luhrmann's vision of The Great Gatsby and 2 things, most everyone knows the finale,
and Mr. Luhrmann has the reputation to deliver.

And that he does, the cast revel in their characters and Baz creatively packs it up all around them. The images are wonderful.

It's the best judicious use of 3D effects yet, clever not overdone accentuating Catherine Martin's costumes which imo, will get an Oscar.
I understand they toned the rock music down and the result morphs well into the 20s styles of the period.
And last week the soundtrack went into the US Billboard charts at No. 2.

My only criticism might be, the last confrontation scene in the hotel ran a tad to long.

Australia's population is now just on 23 million and it looks like we're all in the credits :) When one of us stands up make a creative show like that,
we all stand up.

Shot with Red Epic digital cameras, all the guys at Red will be very happy to put this Great Gatsby on their CV.

Cheers.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Inner Circle

aaahttp://vimeo.com/68451324 < sorry folks the link doesn't respond here, so the only way I can see to view this is to .. copy and delete the aaa,
and follow the link, it's worth it.

From the Vimeo caption ..

'My name is Chris Godfrey and I was the VFX supervisor on the film.

Baz has graciously agreed to let us release this 'before and afters' reel to show our peer group the VFX work completed on his film 'The Great Gatsby'. While this specific reel was the work of Animal Logic (as my primary vendor), in total I worked with 7 vendors including Animal Logic, Rising Sun and Iloura in Australia, ILM in San Francisco and also Prime Focus and Method Vancouver. We also ran an amazing internal SWAT team that completed over 400 shots. Congratulations to all who did such fabulous work on almost 1500 shots.

Many thanks to Baz, Catherine Martin, Catherine Knapman, Chris DeFaria and Mark Brown - and of course Prue Fletcher and Joyce Cox.'

Cheers all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark