Once Upon A Time In Hollywood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 22nd, 2019, 08:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Tarantino's new film. Just thought I'd start a breif discussion about it. Anyone else see it?

I loved it, one of my faves of his. I'm a big fan, but since about 2000 he's been hit or miss for me (liked Bastards & Django mostly). It took a while for me to get into, maybe 45 minutes to an hour, then once it did, and DiCaprio & Brad Pitt really got going & went their seperate ways, their acting & storyline took off.

Touching ending. Loved it.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 09:07 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

In my opinion it's the best movie he's ever done.

I went in with low expectations. To me QT has been a parody of himself with some of his work -- he's taken a premise or two here and there that could have been great, but he just goes too far over the top in my opinion, in a particularly QT kinda way. I can barely handle it when Wes Anderson out-does himself. But Tarantino, to my eye, goes way overboard usually, and lets me down. Usually.

Not so this time, though!

"Hollywood" was beautiful, just a beautiful, wonderful film with a charming conclusion. I sorta saw it coming and thought, please, Quentin, go for it -- and he did. It was terrific.

I'm one of those older guys afflicted by cultural nostalgia, and "Hollywood" runs over with it. It is without question the richest film I've seen in awhile, and I'd love to see it again.

My wife, who has never been a Tarantino fan, is the one who suggested we go check it out (because Brad and because Leo, heh). She loved it just as much as I did, and for her to fall for a Tarantino film is Tarantino getting it spot on right. Bravo, Quentin! I take back all the ugly things I've said about you. I've been won over.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Major Player

lol Hurd, I thought you're post was going to be about 'Movie Talk is prohibited on this board':) I figured it warranted the TOTEM area, I think we've discussed movies & shows on somewhat rare occasions though. I figured QT & this one sorta reach that echelon status.

Yeah, I agree it's up there for him. Top 3 or so. Definitely less 'gangster/criminal' element than his others, and his most 'Standard Movie' script. A bit of language (Leo, lol), but that's about it. Probably his most straightforward movie. I talked with my brother and he mentioned that era (60s/70s) is kinda where his movies tend to find their groove. The recent ones were good, but this one gets that swag back.

Glad you liked it too, yeah I def wanna buy it. I want it in 4K. Definitely getting it in blu ray or digital download. And I also just wanted to kinda recommend it to others here who are on the fence about it like you & I were. I saw it a bit on a whim, very hot day, wanted that theater Air Cconditioning & so glad I saw it.

Last edited by David Barnett; August 23rd, 2019 at 06:45 AM.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 03:29 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

We've got a whole forum for movie discussion -- "Awake In The Dark" -- which is where I've just moved this to, leaving behind a re-direct.

Yeah, I'll have to have this one on Blu_ray, or whatever. Can't wait to see it again!

Old August 22nd, 2019, 05:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I wanted to see this movie, even more so now. I'm always amused at the hate QT evokes. I know he can be over the top but it's an homage to 70s action genere. I think people either are to young to get the reference or have no sense of humor. He has a style and he does what he wants. So many movies today are cookie cutters off an assemble line and everyone is so scared to offend... Everyone wants vanilla

I can only go on what I've seen:
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill
Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Hateful 8

What's not to like?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 06:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Right Pete, it’s long ‪at 2hrs‬ 45 mins but great great entertainment.

Tarantino seems to work like he’s right out of film school after having gained an A in all subjects. He doesn’t shoot on video, and used only one film camera for all the scenes.*

If anyone’s interested, here are some good links ...

https://filmmakermagazine.com/107926.../#.XVnu5Bp_WhA

He certainly gets his crew enthused about his projects ...

https://filmmakermagazine.com/107912.../#.XVnxixp_WhA

This is about getting the right look on film, using vintage Panasonic lenses on the camera ...

https://filmmakermagazine.com/107908.../#.XVnzxxp_WhA

It could easily win Oscars for cinema photography and sound. Sit in the middle half way back, the surround mix is a wonderful thing.

Tarantino is heading for the film anals with the Hollywood greats. I think he’ll eventually be included with Alfred Hitchcock, Walt Disney et al.

Todays cinema needs people like him.

Cheers.
Old August 25th, 2019, 02:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post

This is about getting the right look on film, using vintage Panasonic lenses on the camera ...

Did you mean Panavision lenses?
Old August 25th, 2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Oops good catch Michael, thanks yes it should be Panavision. Tarantino writes his film scripts in pencil in notebooks, amazing eh. He said he’ll only make 10 movies, then write novels.

“That’s the plan” he said in an interview. We’ll see.

Cheers.
Old August 25th, 2019, 10:15 PM   #9
Major Player

I try to catch everything Quentin puts out, as well as the Cohen brothers. Saw it at the cinema in Fairbanks, Alaska of all places. It's weird coming out of the theater at 11pm and it's still light out. Firstly, he has consistently put together a sound track that I really dig. I like what he did with this "work of fiction", and finally, for some reason I kept thinking of a younger Robert Redford while watching Brad Pitt. Like maybe back in the movie "Three Days of the Condor". That era of Redford. I saw a similarity. Anyhoot, I enjoyed the movie very much and will be watching it again.

PSA - if you're ever in Fairbanks and find yourself at Denny's for breakfast, don't get the reindeer sausage. Three Days of Hurt.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 07:10 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Fairbanks, Alaska of all places. It's weird coming out of the theater at 11pm and it's still light out.
Having been in Alaska during summertime, I know that feeling at 11pm. Your brain says hey, there's plenty of light to go do something! And your body says, no you don't!

Quote:
he has consistently put together a sound track that I really dig.
I'd like to get this soundtrack, plus the complete playlist on his jukebox from "Death Proof."

Quote:
PSA - if you're ever in Fairbanks and find yourself at Denny's for breakfast, don't get the reindeer sausage. Three Days of Hurt.
On a similar note, The PepperMill in Anchorage is not up to par with The PepperMill in Las Vegas. Which itself ain't exactly five star.

Thanks Mark,

Old August 26th, 2019, 07:13 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) - Full soundtrack:

Old December 16th, 2022, 10:10 AM   #12
Trustee

I loved this movie for it's nostalgia and actually bringing me back to my youth with the "Tanya" radio commercials and Mannix and FBI episodes. Man, I teared up.
Old December 18th, 2022, 04:48 AM   #13
Equal Opportunity Offender

This YT clip of the soundtrack might embed a little better.

Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark