X-Men (III, 3): The Last Stand - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old June 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #31
Jubal 28

Well, to be fair, the Blackbird WAS hit by a missile . . .

But I get you.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Rodriguez
The story was taken from the "Astonishing X-Men"
Only the cure was taken, nothing else unfortunately.

Brian Singer didn't want to do x-men 3 because the producers were clashing with him about story details.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Ummm... what happened to NightCrawler? I thought that was a great character from X-Men 2... *BAMF*

As for Jean Grey, they could have done the ending differently. What they did with Magneto, Wolverine could have done with Jean... instead of using his claws.

I did like the fact that they showed the training room, and gave us a glimpse of the Sentinels (from the training room).

As for all the other minor mutants, they weren't even worth mentioning in the movie. I don't think that's the same girl that played Kitty Pryde in the previous movies. This girl has another movie out right now, where she plays some teen psycho trying to hook up with an older guy (a photographer) via IM's.
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #34
Trustee

I broke down and went to the latest episode. I was pleasantly surprised. There were far fewer problems than the earlier movies. The only significant problem was the fault of the previous movie. The Phoenix story line seemed to come out of nowhere. I think a bit more foreshadowing should have been done in earlier movies. I agree that many of the newly-introduced mutants were unimportant, but they were "pawns" after all...
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #35
Regular Crew

X-Men:The Last Stand.

Here are my thoughts on the movie franchise.

The first X-Men Movie clearly moved away from the comic, and that was all Bryan Singers doing. That trend continued in the sequel and of course with an already established Universe of its own, this latest installment had no choice but to follow suit. Taken as creations in their own right they are ok, though like most readers of the comics I hate a lot of things the producers and directors took license with.

Each of the movies offered a different element that was done right, and others that did not work. In this latest installment, I think the CGI/Effects were miles above what had been done in the previous 2 movies - I'm not going to argue the validity of whether or not Magneto would have moved the Bridge, but he is an Egocentric and Machiavellian character, so he does not have to be logical.

I enjoyed the movie, and thought it was a decent action/comic book movie. There were parts that really came through, and others that were clearly rushed. Also, I think there was a shorter span of time for production based on the negotiations involved with the change of directors, contracts for actors, etc. With that in mind I think Brett Ratner did a credible job.

The storyline had a lot of dangling ends, but so did the others (I have yet to see a comic book movie without dangling plot lines). There was some character development, and I think a longer movie would have offered a better balance between eye-candy and genuine story-telling. The Phoenix Force was in the comics later said to have awakened the mutant potential of Jean Grey who became very Phoenix like on her own - so there's some credibility for the lack of the other worldy part in the story. Itw as also shown that Xavier did indeed place mental blocks within Jean so she would learn to develop her powers without almost going mad like he did or making mistakes like he did - so there is some credibility there as well (I've been reading comics since I was 5 and at one time owned the Xmen series from 1 - 200+) so, I'm familiar with these plotlines form the comics. But the movies are entities apart from the comics and we may not like it but that what they are - adaptations, not literal translations.

The cinematography was pretty good, and the lighting. Ditto for the editing, though I wonder how much footage they shot that they couldn't work for the movie either due to budget or time constraints.

I enjoyed myself and would rate it better than the first, but maybe a smidgin below the second, simply because the movie needed more development, and more time for the story to play out.

Just my 2c.

:-)
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Ramlogan
Here are my thoughts on the movie franchise...

The storyline had a lot of dangling ends, but so did the others (I have yet to see a comic book movie without dangling plot lines)...

:-)
How many comic books do you know that have plots that "end"? The comic book movies will always have endings like this for two main reasons.

1. The actual comics are continued, with new characters and stories
2. The obvious setup for future sequels, depending upon the success of the movie

I mean, many people didn't appreciate Ang Lee's The Hulk, so odds are that there will not be a sequel to that. Maybe if Ang Lee had made the Hulk a homosexual, then more people would have loved the movie? (much sarcasm intended)
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:52 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I couldn't help myself

Ok, my two cents. As a youngin many moons ago, I loved the X-Men comic book, cartoons etc. Heck I even designed a blue print on how to make my own steel spike glove. This ofcourse was looked upon with curiosity by my teacher.

But seriously, the plotof X-men reminded me of how sometimes people video, all over the place. It seemed everytime I became comfortable with sub-plot, the story left it long enough that I forgot what was really going on when the end of the sub plot was resurected.

And to kill off two main characters in one fail swoop was damagaing to the whole feel of the movie. After Xavier died, I almost was like, 'well time to go now,' movies over.

Then to really replace the lead character of Xavier with more camera time of his arch enemy was just a little much for me.

That's my two cents. I can say that X-men 3 will be the reason I rent Superman. Hollywood has gone nuts with superheros, save Spiderman.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM   #38
Regular Crew

dangling...

Lol, hey Tom. I agree man, definitely the producers want to leave room for a sequel or sequels. But, I was more concerned about having some closure to the story based on the fact we'd already had two, and this was the third.

C'est la vie! Maybe we'll never have total closure but some effort to tighten up the story would have been much appreciated and resulted in a more complete movie.

And, hey Steven. I hear you man, the constant shift in view was a little distracting but I do think with a longer movie it could have panned out better? Who knows, extended version anyone?

Lol, :-)
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Ok, my two cents. As a youngin many moons ago, I loved the X-Men comic book, cartoons etc. Heck I even designed a blue print on how to make my own steel spike glove. This ofcourse was looked upon with curiosity by my teacher.
Your teachers probably thought you were attempting to design a Freddy Krueger type glove. ;o)
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark