It's about time - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 27th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #31
Air China Pilot

John, I don't know. I'd like to check one out sometime but I'm afraid of other people's tastes.

I mean, what if I show up to a viewing bringing "Audition" and people are in the mood for "Pretty Woman"?

:)

Actually, that could be entertaining in itself.
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #32
Wrangler

In Vancouver there is Guy Movie Night at Dylan's House.
Rules
1) BYOB. Leave the leftovers.
2) Excessive drunken talking during movies will keep you from getting invited back.
3) Breaking Dylan's bubble hockey table will result in having your remaining beer confiscated.
4) Movies are chosen by vote ahead of time.
5) Dylan gets first choice of chairs.
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #33
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Bob, they show indie films. Basically it's an opportunity for local filmmakers to gauge the audience response to their films.

Dylan... leftovers?! BYOB leftovers?! Never heard of such a thing.

Keith..."Audition"? That one hasn't made it hear yet. I'm guessing this is something I should check out a.s.a.p.

Chris...Alamo Cinema Draft...that must be something new since I left. Sounds cool. Does the Paramount still have double features during the summer? For those of you not from the Austin area, the Paramount is one of those gorgeous early 1900s theaters...big red velvet curtain, lots of dark wood and gold trimmings, opera boxes, and a great balcony. It's intended for live performances, but in the summer they show classic double-features, usually black & white, and usually following a theme. I remember a "Bogie Night" they had a few years back. All the staff wore raincoats and hats and called you "schweetheart." Best thing about the Paramount is that they have a full bar. So, load up on Gin and Tonics, settle in to the air-conditioning, sit on the front row of the balcony so that you're eye-level with actors, and then kick back with a gorgeous date and watch some Bogart on a huge old screen in a beautiful theater... what could be better than that? Well...okay...Guy Movie Night at Dylan's House runs a pretty close race (I take that back. Anything with a date trumps Guy Night.)
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #34
RED Code Chef

Dylan... are you picking a chair? Man... I'm all over the couch.
Nothin' more comfy than that! Couch in dead center of a projector
in the sweet spot of the sound. Lights all down, everyone quiet
(otherwise no invites back) and lets enjoy some movie....

Now I am going to do some special events in the near future...
things like:

- Watching all of 24 season 1 real-time
- Watching LoTR trilogy
- Matrix trilogy
- Star Wars double trilogy
- Godfather trilogy
(ofcourse this is all back-to-back with only the necessary
breaks for bathroom use and such)

Anyone have some time left? <grin>

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #35
Air China Pilot

Audition

It's a film by Takashi Miike (Dead or Alive series, Fudoh, Ichi the Killer) about a widower who after an extended mourning period decides to get a wife by an unusual method. As a producer in the film business he convinces a friend to help stage an audition for a new film and sets out the same criteria for the actress as he would for his dream wife (young, intelligent but traditional). Although the process introduces its share of doubts, he comes across the submission by a beautiful former dancer and is instantly struck by her introspective writing. He decides to pursue her outside of the interview process and becomes obsessed with her. She agrees to meet with him and she seems perfect.

Too perfect.

The rest I cannot spoil. It's delicious.
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:18 AM   #36
Major Player

So John do they charge the filmaker something to show their film? Or just charge admission?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark