300 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 6th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #16
Major Player

IMO, these days you have two types of people ..... the meat and potatoes type and the sushi bar type.

300 is a meat and potatoes type of film, I love this film because it is based on fact. The line in the film where he says "we will fire a volly of arrows that will blot out the sun......then we willl fight in the shade" is a direct and true famous millitary quote , i remember being tought about it in school and it gave me goose bumps then . The Battle of Thermopylae is a true documented battle where 300 spartans fought a million persians to a standstill....it happened pretty much how they showd it in the film (obviously without some of the creatures) and to me as a man it is inspirational and in that respect its beyond criticism.

Andy.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #17
Major Player

I am neither meat nor potatoes nor sushi, but in my humble opinion there has never been a movie made that is beyond criticism.

I think it's also necessary to point out that this movie is an entertainment and not an historical reconstruction or educational film. It is after all based on a comic book and not a historical account. If it were based on fact they would have called it "1400" to reflect the 700 Thespians and 400 Thebans that fought alongside the Spartans.

Yes the battle of Thermopylae actually happened but do you seriously think it was conducted in such a homo-erotic manner?

Liam.
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Yes the battle of Thermopylae actually happened but do you seriously think it was conducted in such a homo-erotic manner?

Liam.
Firstly to address your comment about it not bing a reconstruction or historical account.....humans have told stories of battles and such for thousands of years and filmmaking is just the modern way of telling tales the same way we have always done. This is a film based on the battle of Thermopylae just as the comic was based on the battle of Thermopylae and what they both do is remind us of the events that happened.....it may not be exact (enter the entertainment value) but let me draw your attention to religion..... there are many tales in all religions that cannot be exactly true but they may be based on real events and this is exactly the same.Its about people telling tales to keep the memory of the past.

Secondly yes i do think it would be conducted in a homo-erotic manner, classical studies is full of homosexuality....from emperors to commoners it was widley practiced. If you look at the origins of the olympics men in greek times or roman times for that matter would strip and rub olive oil on their bodies and then wrestl naked. War in those days was the province of men and subsiquently it had a homo- erotic air about it.

You can pick away at the technique the director used but the fundamentaly human need to tell stories of events is why in my opinion any film made about real events are untouchable because however bad the film is it serves its purpose just by reminding us of the real event.

Andy.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Ok film. Visually great, but as previously said, the dialog and acting werent so hot. Also, the use (or overuse) of slow motion got old. My friend and I got into an hours deep argument about this, but my main gripe was the casting. The spartans (greeks) were anglo with english or scottish accents. And the "bad" guys were all ethnic looking. I'm not saying to movie was racist (the bad guys were coming from asia/africa) just inconsistent. they shoulda used real greeks.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #20
Major Player

I think 300 kicked all kinds of ass. I thought it was great. Easily the best sword and sandals film since Gladiator revived the genre back in 2000 IMHO. Its plot IS paper-thin and character development no thicker. But as an example of pure, beautifully shot, kickass spectacle goes - it's fantastic. I've seen it twice now (once on Imax) and it just gets the audience fired up. You remember it for different reasons to those you remember a film like Gladiator for, but you DO remember it.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #21
Major Player

I just saw it and ... As a piece of Art, it's awesome. As history, it's garbage.

Have to admit I found more fascist than homo-erotic.
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #22
Major Player

Wonderful film. I think that the message lies within the feeling you get from the cinematography. Of corse this film should not be taken as a historical representation. It was a recreation of a comic book right?

Anyway, I think Zack did a wonderful job with this film.

Anyone know what cameras they used?

thanks.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark