DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old April 12th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera Super 16 Sensor

Trying to wrap my head around the implications of the Super 16mm-sized sensor in the new Pocket Cinema camera. If I'm calculating this right, to achieve a 50mm field of view I'd need a 17mm M43 lens? Is there an M43 17mm lens of high enough quality/speed that it'd be worth considering for use in shooting a feature?

Other options include the Metabones M43/EF speed booster. I hear murmerings about this thing but see no evidence of a formal announcement, never mind an actual product at the Metabones site. If this beastie did become available, what would a 50mm Canon EF lens translate to in terms of FOV with this sensor?

Then there is the vast array of bizarre Super 16 lenses that one sees on eBay covered in dust and rust that have been sitting in attics and closets for decades and are now going for $8,000. Wouldn't even begin to know what to look for.

Basically, I shot my last feature on a 5D MkII using a Canon 50mm 1.2L and was very happy (at least with the lens, the crappy codec and other issues I could do without). I don't much give a damn about other focal lengths, 50mm was good enough for Ozu and Bresson and it's good enough for me.

So what's my play in terms of lenses if I go with this camera? Many thanks in advance!
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera Super 16 Sensor

Olympus & Panasonic have fast primes in the 12mm, 17mm, and 20mm range. It sounds like the 12mm will get you to 36mm on the super 16 sensor. The Pana Lieca is 25mm and is an excellent lens. All are under 2.0 aperture.
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This is exactly what I was thinking about when I read about the sensor. I was wondering what the effective focal length of my current lenses would be on this S16 sensor - and thought more people would be wondering. So I made this simple calculator which tells you (based on your input) what the effective focal length (35mm equiv) of your current lenses is (for comparison purposes), and what the effective focal length of those lenses will be on the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera.

Link: Field of View on the BMPCC - RubenKremer.nl

I hope it's of any use to you, or anyone else. I know it helped me in quickely figuring out which lenses would be usefull and which would be ... well ... way too long (my 135mm f/2.8 prime becomes a 389mm prime on the Pocket Cinema ;-))
Ruben Kremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Excellent calculator tool! Would like to request addition of a section for Super 35 sensors like Arri Alexa and Canon C300. Cheers.
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Major Player

The active version of the speed booster for m4/3 is delayed until next year, and the passive version until the end of the year.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Major Player

There are some really great manual m43 primes including SLR Magic 12/1.6, Voigtlander 17/0.95 & 25/0.95. There are tons of old Super 16 lenses (though the cine lenses are costly) and possibly C-mount lenses will cover the sensor as well.

One option I'm going to experiment with is a B4 broadcast zoom, which vignettes slightly on a M43 sensor. I bought a cheap one awhile back to tinker with on my EM5 - I think its a 9-63mm/f1.6 - which would roughly translate to a 27-252 in FF terms - and it has a built in 2x doubler so it'll really have some reach. The S16 sensor will hopefully be small enough to eliminate the m43 corner issues.

I've preordered and right now all I have in m43 is my EM5 kit 14-42 and the B4 lens, along with a m43 to EF dumb adapter so I can use all my Canon lenses wide open. If the Pocket Cam is a keeper, I'm going to pick up the m43 Speedbooster when available and use my EF lenses.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera