DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old May 7th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Major Player

4K Raw from BMCC good enough for stock footage vs RED or Sony

Hi all,

Ever since I read about the Red Scarlet with 3K Raw, I've envisioned shooting anything and everything in RAW 3K, and selling it on stock footage sites. I don't know if it would sell or not, naturally depends on what was shot. But my thought was that the Red Scarlet 3K for around 3K (way back when) was going to be "affordable" to shoot good quality uncompressed RAW footage and allow anyone who buys it to use/edit it as they see fit, rather than stuck with compressed footage.

Now that the Scarlet + accessories is like 15K+, and the BMCC 4K RAW is coming soon, I am wondering if the footage shot in 4K RAW on the BMCC would be considered good for stock footage sites? I would think so, based on the footage I've seen from the 2.5K BMCC.

It's a pipe dream no doubt, of mine, but I thought it might justify the case for buying the 4K camera + a good lens or two, although given that I can't afford the 4K right now, I am leaning towards the Rokinon Cine lens, the 85mm and the 24mm. The quality of those lens for the price is outstanding.

Speaking of, would those lens work with 4K good enough, or not be good enough for 4K resolution acquisition?

Thanks.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 4K Raw from BMCC good enough for stock footage vs RED or Sony

Those lenses have the same glass elements as their non-Cine counterparts. Those still lenses take absolutely gorgeous pictures with the 20+ megapixel camera's like the 5D. So I wouldn't be too worried about resolution when shooting video with just over 8 megapixel (4K) :-)
Ruben Kremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Good point. I asked that because I've read about special cinematic lenses that can handle 4K to 8K cameras.. and they aren't cheap.. so I figured maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't be good enough or sharp enough for 4K.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I went to the 1DC demo at NAB the canon REP stated that the EOS L lens would have no problem with 4K or 8K RES.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
Good point. I asked that because I've read about special cinematic lenses that can handle 4K to 8K cameras.. and they aren't cheap.. so I figured maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't be good enough or sharp enough for 4K.
It's the mechanics that make cine lenses more expensive, also reducing breathing during focus adjustments.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Major Player

No RAW submissions. You have to manipulate the RAW files and then send the clients the output in whatever format. Licenses are often based on resolution, apart from geography, duration etc etc.

If the same RAW files are with many people, how will you prove your ownership? I am not sure what kind of meta data is embedded in the BMC camera and whether it can be used to prove ownership.

I can visualise that this is going to be worse than micro stock photography where you don't even make a dollar per photo.
Old May 18th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
I am wondering if the footage shot in 4K RAW on the BMCC would be considered good for stock footage sites? I would think so, based on the footage I've seen from the 2.5K BMCC.

It's a pipe dream no doubt, of mine, but I thought it might justify the case for buying the 4K camera + a good lens or two, although given that I can't afford the 4K right now, I am leaning towards the Rokinon Cine lens, the 85mm and the 24mm. The quality of those lens for the price is outstanding.
This: Blackmagic Cinema Camera vs. Red Scarlet – Zeiss vs. Samyang Part 1 | Frank Glencairn

and that: Blackmagic Cinema Camera vs. Red Scarlet ? Zeiss vs. Samyang Part 2 | Frank Glencairn

may answer your questions.

Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes, the footage shot on the BMPC 4k is good enough for stock footage. Most any 1080p camera is as well, for that matter. The BMPC 4k was designed for output far beyond stock footage. It was designed for digital film cinema production for anything from low budget indie films to mega budget Hollywood studio productions. It's quite interesting to see people asking questions about if certain cameras "are good enough" for this that and the other. It's truly amazing what's available for such a small price these days. I mean no offense to anyone because I'm a gear nerd and easily get caught up in pixel peeping but I also maintain a focus on what content I want to create and story to tell. Having said that, I've pre-ordered a BMPC 4k and can't wait to start using it!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera