Old June 6th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Third BMPCC Test footage

A little rain in my Pocket | johnbrawley
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Third BMPCC Test footage

Just came here to post this myself. Think this footage looks incredible! Chomping at the bit to get mine.
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for posting the link, Philip.

What have we here? Oh, low light footage! Wasn’t planned that way, sorry about the rain, he says. And I have the Sydney Harbour Bridge for sale so just send me the money.

Everything Blackmagic has done, other than the debacle with the sensor problem, is planned and highly orchestrated, in my opinion. If Blackmagic wanted to release ‘normal’ footage shot with the pocket camera they would. And if Brawley wasn’t available on a decent day then they would find someone else at the drop of a hat, if they wanted to.

Perhaps this is still a ‘prototype’. At least this time he is not throwing the camera around like a drunken sailor. We are getting there, but bloody slowly!
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Maybe they are trying to say it's also rainproof?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Major Player

It's rather lovely isn't it. At 1600 mostly too, apparently. I'm quite impressed that in the really low light situations the codec isn't turning things to mush, by the looks.
All they need to do now is sell it.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #6
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCully View Post
Thanks for posting the link, Philip.

What have we here? Oh, low light footage! Wasn’t planned that way, sorry about the rain, he says. And I have the Sydney Harbour Bridge for sale so just send me the money.

Everything Blackmagic has done, other than the debacle with the sensor problem, is planned and highly orchestrated, in my opinion. If Blackmagic wanted to release ‘normal’ footage shot with the pocket camera they would. And if Brawley wasn’t available on a decent day then they would find someone else at the drop of a hat, if they wanted to.

Perhaps this is still a ‘prototype’. At least this time he is not throwing the camera around like a drunken sailor. We are getting there, but bloody slowly!
Sorry ?

You couldn't be more wrong.

jb
John Brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #7
Major Player

I couldn’t be more wrong about what?

Well, yes, I don’t really have the Sydney Harbour Bridge for sale, that is true. But that was not meant to be taken literally but rather as a trivial light-hearted quip an Australian might appreciate, a grammatical play, a wry silliness designed to bring the best out in you; in other words a joke. Guess it didn’t work. Sorry!

I guess my over-riding question is what is going on? Full disclosure would be very much appropriate JB. Why are we not seeing ‘normal’ footage? Are you speaking for Blackmagic? Do you have a vested interest? Are you on the payroll (one way or another)? Is not Blackmagic’s marketing strategy planned and highly orchestrated, do you know? Could they not, if they wanted to, show us some normal footage? Is this still shot with a prototype? When might we see the real thing? Are they having serious hiccups with this product introduction? Are you truly the only person...blah blah, and so on?

Most of my comments are in fact questions if you close-read my post (other than the last phrase of my bottom line).

What’s ‘wrong’ about that?

Nobody is forcing you to answer, clearly, however I must point out the obvious: ‘you couldn’t be more wrong’ is quite unhelpful and adds nothing useful to the discussion whatsoever. I would add smilies all over the place if I could, in other words let’s keep it light, polite and pleasant. Mildly cutting is OK. Illuminating is totally encouraged, I believe.

I have a vested interest and am seeking to understand; I have one on order, and paid a deposit. Should I pop across the Tasman and give you guys a hand with this perhaps?

Maybe you don’t know anything, and that’s OK. Maybe I’m talking to the wrong guy! Thus far yours is the only voice (and footage) I have encountered; you do come across to me as representing Blackmagic.

Common John, don’t be coy; give us the straight goods.

Oh right; NDA...
Old June 8th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Thank you for taking the time to post these videos, John. They are very helpful. I know that finding the time to do them is a challenge.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 04:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Dear Mr McCully
The trouble with the written word is it lacks emphasis. Two people can read a post and get two different messages from it.
Hopefully I am wrong but you seem to be quite aggressive to Mr Brawley. If I am wrong I apologize and maybe someone should proof read your posts. If I am right, take a chill pill.
Anyone who is willing to share their work (especially pics from some new gear) should be respected and appreciated. The best part about this forum is that amateurs, semi-pro and pro from all areas share opinions and info.
The pics I saw were amazing, a great indication of what is possible with this camera.
If you have questions about some mysterious sub plot, be a bit more polite :-)
And no, I am not a part of BlackMagic's marketing campaign, I'm stuck in the Sony world.
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Major Player

I’m not sure what you mean when you say the written word lacks emphasis. Seems you are chiding me, telling me off, for being overly emphatic. Be that as it may rest assured I don’t know John Brawley and the last thing on my mind is being aggressive with him, or anyone for that matter. So yes, your read is, unfortunately not intended by me, no need to apologize. If you can’t see my tongue-in-cheek then perhaps I must infuse my text with a smilies here and there, as you did. You Aussies are just overly sensitive:-).

Didn’t you like my joke about the Sydney Harbour Bridge? Yes, I suppose coming from a Kiwi that is a bit rude. Levity Phill, levity, otherwise you are headed for an early grave!

I agree with you completely that ‘The best part about this forum is that amateurs, semi-pro and pro from all areas share opinions and info’. John’s reply, as I said, wasn’t helpful and I am looking for more info.

The thing is I just find it incredible that less than one month from delivery (my dealer tells me June) I have yet to view any plain and simple daylight footage. That’s all. Does that not strike you as odd? And John does come across as the official spokesperson for Blackmagic, not just here but also elsewhere. Maybe I got that completely wrong. I'm likewise something of a Sony person however that might change; I'm not stuck.

Anyway, Phill, consider me told off. Good for you. Perhaps I might ask you to proof-read my posts ha ha.

Enjoy what’s left of your Saturday evening.
Old June 8th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Cinematographer

Quote:
I couldn’t be more wrong about what?

I guess my over-riding question is what is going on? Full disclosure would be very much appropriate JB.

Quote:
‘you couldn’t be more wrong’ is quite unhelpful and adds nothing useful to the discussion whatsoever.
Just as unhelpful as your conspiratorial delusions.

I was simply pointing out that you were wrong.

I figured a direct answer was best seeing as you also seemed to fail to note my disclosure the last time you questioned my motivations.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmag...ml#post1797511

jb
John Brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Just wait until the camera is out on the streets, then the first real users "test" videos will appear, you can be sure that like the BMC camera there will be a lot of crap footage but also footage that will look jawdropping beautiful (that's at least what many will hope)

They should have given the camera to Andrew Julian too, you know, they guy who made "meet me in big sur", he sure seems to know how to get the best of a camera but unfortunately the camera is clearly marketed to show it's "handheld run and gun" capabilities, that's at least what I can conclude when seeing what's released at this moment.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Posting on forums is sometimes like driving in cars. Imagine yelling and swearing and flipping off a person who accidentally got in your way in a supermarket isle: you would be labelled an aggressive lunatic. but get in a car and it is somehow ok, buffered from the world by a ton of metal, plastic and glass, in a plush throne, supreme in the 'driver's seat'. or protected behind a computer screen.

Being a 'paying customer' can also instill people with a sense of belligerent entitlement, abusing low paid waiting staff, salespeople, or even media professionals who find time to test new equipment, whether paid or not, to the best of their abilities. Buying a piece of electronics does not buy one the right to be rude or unduly demanding. I don't believe that is available for any price, but it does come at a cost, especially when freely used.

Though the 'tone' of electronic communication can somehow be misinterpreted, a pattern of behavior will eventually reveal intent.

I have not purchased any BM camera, but I am following the evolution of cameras with delight, and I personally would like to thank anyone involved in a process that will put a better camera at a better price in my hands.

So, thank you John Brawley.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Just wait until the camera is out on the streets, then the first real users "test" videos will appear, you can be sure that like the BMC camera there will be a lot of crap footage but also footage that will look jawdropping beautiful (that's at least what many will hope)

They should have given the camera to Andrew Julian too, you know, they guy who made "meet me in big sur", he sure seems to know how to get the best of a camera but unfortunately the camera is clearly marketed to show it's "handheld run and gun" capabilities, that's at least what I can conclude when seeing what's released at this moment.
That looks like a good plan, Noa, as hoping and looking for regular daylight footage is not productive, it would appear. Nor shall I ask any more questions but just wait as you suggest.

I agree with you that they should have made the camera available to Andrew Julian, and me too I might add, and you of course, however I imagine Blackmagic has a game plan, as I’ve mentioned previously, and that’s hardly ‘conspiratorial delusions’. It is the best way to do business in fact. Whatever, no more comments from me on that as it does unduly ruffle feathers.

Yes, I’m hoping and imagining too that jawdropping beautiful is on the cards otherwise I wouldn’t be here. And to repeat what I’ve said before good on the Blackmagic team for what they have done and are doing.

I too get the sense that the target market is the handheld run and gun shooters however you just know that when the product gets out there it will be used in all manner of circumstances and situations. And there will be people, me included, who will use it for other than run and gun and in due course perhaps upgrade to a more expensive model, maybe. Initially I ordered the BMCC but after NAB switched to the pocket model for various reasons not the least of which are the cost and portability.

Love to see some regular footage, and please note that’s a sign of enthusiasm, not belligerence, and heavens no, never ever rude and unduly demanding, though I will admit to being a tad impatient.

So, please get a move on; that’s an order:-) :-) :-).
John McCully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera