DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Major Player

BMC 4k and data transfer?

Hello,
I am on the ledge ... about to place an order for the BMC 4k but am curious about data transfer. BM sells a transfer dock but it connects via Thunderbolt. I use a 12 core Mac Pro that does not and cannot have Thunderbolt installed. Is there another effective means of transferring recorded data from the cam's SSD to the aforementioned computer?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: BMC 4k and data transfer?

Could install an esata card, and get an external dock for the SSD. I have 2 hooked up to my 8 core Mac Pro currently.

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great for swapping out drives.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you, good idea.
BTW, have you found an effective means of using the camera off sticks? Given the odd shape it appears that it would be difficult to hold, although, I have observed a BM cage for the cam that incorporates a handle.
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't have the Cinema camera yet. I've preordered the pocket camera, and plan on getting the 2.5k version next spring. I have found a few solutions I like for that form factor though.

This being one of them

Quick Kit (BMC, Pro)
Old July 6th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the link.
I have a BM 4k on pre-order, as well as a Wooden Camera cage and handle, but this version of the WC cage and handle appears superior to the one suggested by the vender.
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Major Player

I received an email from Red Rock Micro yesterday, after posting a link for Wooden Camera. I like Red Rocks setup as well.

Studio Camera Rig for Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera | ultraCage Studio Bundle | Black Professional Series

Old July 6th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Jeff,
I agree, the Red Rock looks interesting and is very similar to the Wooden Camera. However, it appears to offer more rigging options with a more affordable base MSRP. However, I suspect that once you begin adding the needed accessories to the a la carte list that the cost will add up. Anyway, I have no idea when the 4k will begin shipping or where I sit in the order cue, so I guess that I'll have some time to think about it.
Thanks for the video.
P.S. just completed calculations, and by adding the microBalance Plus battery plate, top handle and top plate (not clear if the bundle price includes same and if so, subtract $125 from the total below) brings the price to $1664.50. More costly than the Wooden Camera cage but appears to offer more flexibility and function.

Last edited by Ron Wilk; July 6th, 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera