DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old August 30th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: New Pocket Cam footage

Wile I'm not a retired guy, I'm a lot like John, I'm not a working professional. Mearly an enthusiastic hobbyist. Looking forward to my Pockets arrival and the implementation of raw.
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:47 AM   #32
Major Player

I’m still waiting on the card so I can meaningfully press the record button. In the meantime I am taking a renewed interest in what’s out there and came across this below. If I was predisposed to using worn out hipster language I would tell you I think this is awesome, epic and blows Bloom and Brawley’s footage out of the water but I won’t however I will disclose my bias in confessing I do love New York city. Still, this is the best footage out of the Pocket I’ve seen to date and the sound track here just works too. Obviously that’s all a personal opinion, no more.

Yes, the orbs are here and there through the footage but for me easily ignored. I would also suggest the casual look belies the amount of work involved in post. Not sure this could be done so well with a GH3. Yes, the GH3 would produce a sharper image, but...

I’m encouraged, very much so, even as I won’t choose the Pocket as a camera gift for my granddaughter, at least not until she progresses in the art of cinematography a tad more.

John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM   #33
Major Player

Scene after scene there are orbs or blown out whites. (:11 :19 :21 :45 and so on). Most of the sky shots are solid white. I have the much more expensive 4k camera on order but after seeing this I'm going to cancel and wait until they work out any possible bugs.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM   #34
Major Player

I know the ord issue is just that, an issue. But part of me thinks since the issue has been pointed out, everyone who knows is looking for it. I hope they fix it, but also feel content is king, and with moving pictures, if you're filming something worth wild, a lot of the issue would go unnoticed to the untrained eye. I for one have no intention of canceling my pocket preorder.

Also, with regards to the gh3 having a sharper picture. I believe I've read the pocket camera doesn't add any in camera sharpening to the footage, like other camera do. So adding a touch in post, will make these images,as sharp as any other camera, I suspect.
Old September 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM   #35
Major Player

He mentions in the comments on that video that nearly every shot has been stabilized, with most blown up in the 102 -104% range and some as high as 108% - so that's going to add a little softening to the footage as well.

I'm curious about the glow that shows up in a few shots - in the comments he mentions it only happens at f/0.95 and in daylight. I'm assuming he's using ND to shoot wide open like that, is that IR bleeding through? I wonder if this camera is going to require an additional IR filter in those kinds of situations, or if it will benefit from one under other conditions as well.
Old September 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM   #36
Major Player

Yes, he mentions he used a Lightcraft fader ND MKII filter.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:15 PM   #37
Major Player

Some night footage I just discovered.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:10 PM   #38
Major Player

Seen a lot of footage lately, and have to say I'm as excited as ever to get my hands on this camera. The orb issue doesn't make me hesitate on bit.

Looking forward to seeing what raw can do.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Looking for orbs in night shots is pointless because most cameras will do that. It is more of an issue when it does it broad daylight though.
Steven Ansell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera