Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old October 9th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

BMPCC memory cards

Hi all -

Has anyone tried the newest Sandisk Extreme cards, rated at 60 MB/s write speeds? This seems to lie squarely between the old Extreme cards and the Pro series, both in performance and price. I ordered a couple, but may send them back if they can't keep up - would rather do it before I open them though :)

Also - is 64 GB really enough for 50 minutes of ProRes?
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: BMPCC memory cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bratcher View Post
is 64 GB really enough for 50 minutes of ProRes?
I don't think so. I get 38 minutes using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB card, the only card I have used.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm using the Sandisk Extreme 128GB, works fine no dropped frames, and would hold about 90-100 minutes I think? I seem to be able to just go nuts on a typical shoot with no problems.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCully View Post
I don't think so. I get 38 minutes using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB card, the only card I have used.
Thanks John - I read 50 minutes on the Blackmagic website, but heard about 2GB / minute from another source. Sounds like I'll probably have to pick up at least one 128 GB card...
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
I'm using the Sandisk Extreme 128GB, works fine no dropped frames, and would hold about 90-100 minutes I think? I seem to be able to just go nuts on a typical shoot with no problems.
Thanks Ryan - is that the 45 MB/sec version?
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thats the one. It probably won't work with raw when that's added, but I'll shoot ProRes most of the time anyway.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
Austinite

We have had no problem with the Hoodman 32GB card. Can't beat that chip on board technology and steel plating. DOn't forget to format cards in a PC as exFat. Camera can't format cards...

RAW Steel Ultra High Speed UHS-1-Hoodman Corporation
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

So I received my BMPCC today - ordered from Adorama on Tuesday night, with 3 day delivery - was NOT expecting it to get here that quickly, so I am quite thrilled :)

The battery is still charging, but I played around in the menus for a bit, and popped in my one and only 32GB Sandisk Extreme card, rated at 30 MB/sec. Guess what - it was recognized, and I was able to record about a minute of video with no drops. This card also worked will in my hacked GH2, so I had high hopes that it would work here. I'll have to do more testing this weekend to see if I can fill the card with no drops. So far so good though!
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm using an $83 Adata Premier Pro 64GB UHS-I 95MB/s read, 45MB/s write SDXC card and it works just fine for Pro Res on the Pocket.

That said, John Brawley just Tweeted a picture of a Pocket Camera LCD with the word "RAW" displayed in the lower left corner of the screen, along with this teaser,"Coming soon to the Pocket...RAW".

Guess it's time to start stocking up on $133.59 95MB/s read/write Sandisk Extreme Pros :)

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
I'm using an $83 Adata Premier Pro 64GB UHS-I 95MB/s read, 45MB/s write SDXC card and it works just fine for Pro Res on the Pocket.
Good to know! I was reading that many common SD cards were not even recognized - maybe it just boils down to write speed.

My new Sandisk Extremes won't be here until next Friday (at least shipping was free). I'm with you on the raw though - definitely need at least one card for shooting raw...
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bratcher View Post
Good to know! I was reading that many common SD cards were not even recognized - maybe it just boils down to write speed.

My new Sandisk Extremes won't be here until next Friday (at least shipping was free). I'm with you on the raw though - definitely need at least one card for shooting raw...
Since many cards that seem to have the write speed still drop frames, I'd guess it has more to do with the Controller in the SD card. I remember these issues back when people were experimenting with SD cards as a replacement for SxS in the Sony EX1.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Austinite

Leaning towards Delkin Devices 633X (95 mb/sec) as our go to. We had some glitches with the Hoodman 32GB (45mb.sec).
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Major Player

what is the current advice for memory cards in the BMPCC for shooting raw and shooting prores? I assume prores will work with a 30mb/sec write and raw with an 80mbs.sec write? or more, such as 45mb/sec and 95mbs/sec? I use Sandisk, but will other brands with these speeds work with the Pocket?

Last edited by Alex Anderson; December 4th, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Major Player

Use the 64GB Sandisk Extreme 45mbs for Prores and only the 64GB Extreme Pro for RAW.

Not that something else might not work, but that's the way to be safe.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanx Jim. That helps to know. Anyone having luck with any 128gb cards for BMPCC raw?

Alex
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera