Should I get the BMPCC or something else? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Should I get the BMPCC or something else?

Right now the largest approved SD card is the SanDisk Exreme Pro at 64 GB, but they will soon introduce a 128GB card. Expensive cards. $140 for 64 GB.

there are numerous reports that SanDisk Exreme (not Pro) cards will work with ProRes. Half the price of the pro version.

A 256 GB Lexar card, which may or may not work but I would not trust it, costs $500. remember that the BMPCC REQUIRES the fastest SD cards, and that these will be MUCH more expensive per GB than SSDs.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Major Player

If I wanted 10 bit ProRes 422 from a locked off camera I would get the BMPCC and a used Hyperdeck Shuttle for $294 from Amazon Warehouse Deals to maximize my recording time.

As Philip says, SSDs are a lot less expensive than SD cards on a per GB basis.

The camera works well with the Hyperdeck. Here is an example:

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
Right now the largest approved SD card is the SanDisk Exreme Pro at 64 GB, but they will soon introduce a 128GB card. Expensive cards. $140 for 64 GB.

there are numerous reports that SanDisk Exreme (not Pro) cards will work with ProRes. Half the price of the pro version.
Sandisk Extreme cards work just fine, and are "approved" by Blackmagic. Even the older 45 MB / sec Extreme cards work for ProRes.

Blackmagic Design: FAQ's

The codec may not be the same as the BMCC either - BMPCC uses less than 2GB / minute - I have heard about 42 minutes is typical on a 64 GB card, and I usually see around 1.5 GB / minute - but have not filled a card with a single clip yet.

Battery life will also limit you, so use an external pack if you need to record longer than 40 minutes.
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Inner Circle

BMPCC is a "post" camera. It's designed for grading work. If you don't need/want that flexibility, it's not the camera for you. It's not only the wide dynamic range but the ability to compensate when "exposing to the right" that can allow making significant adjustments without breaking the codec.

If you don't like the flexibility of interchangeable lenses it's not the camera for you. The lens flexibility with an (active) MFT mount is excellent.

I much prefer in camera recording ProRes than going to external device to avoid AVCHD codec.

The camera works well handheld with good Lumix OIS lens.

So I can record ProRes with an OIS lens handheld. That's more "Pocket" than I can get with other cameras.

Audio is reasonable IF you put a Rode Video Mic Pro on it, if you're just looking for "camera audio."

The largest card is currently 128GB Sandisk Extreme. This is not an extremely long recording duration so if you want that in a handheld, it's not the camera for you.

For me, an actual Nikon battery can last just over an hour and the BMD batteries between 50 and 60 minutes. There's a lot of mediocre third party batteries that only last 30-40 minutes. Easy to avoid those. BMD batteries are $15/ea. I got several from B&H.

What you're getting with BMPCC is an excellent interchangeable system with camera back (recorder) in a small form factor. Yet, you can rig it out as needed with external battery and recorder.

I can put the camera, batteries, cards, couple of lenses in a messenger bag and be on my way. I can use monopod or small stabilizer and still be very mobile.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hmm - thanks for all the info. Have to admit that I'm sort of thinking of maybe getting its big brother instead. I already have quite a collection of Canon EF glass for my still cameras so wouldn't have to invest in a new lens - I have 16 - 35 and 14mm lenses so should have reasonably wide coverage.I"ll probably rent one and experiment for a week.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Major Player

Good luck, Jim. I like the $1995 BMCC's 2.5K resolution, but it still has an unresolved black dot problem:

and the "push to autofocus" firmware upgrade is coming, but hasn't been released yet.

On the other hand, the black dot problem has been resolved on the BMPCC:

And push-to-autofocus works in the current firmware release.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM   #22
Inner Circle

As to which Blackmagic camera…. collect them all and swap them with your friends. ;)

Considering how much RAW/ProRes based cameras are, one can consider getting a few different ones at these prices.

I look at the Pocket for covering certain types of uses.
I'm certainly interested in the 4k… primarily for global shutter and Super 35 sensor, although slightly reduced dynamic range.
On the other hand the BMCC 2.5k has both the EF (active) and MFT option (although not active like the Pocket).

For me, the most important factor is size. Even rigged or stabilized, the Pocket can be a bit smaller given its weight.

4k also gives you option to repo shots. 2.5k to a lesser extent. Both allow for post stabilization without resolution lose if working in HD.

After all, I can get the 4K, 2.5k, Pocket for not much more than my single Sony PMW-EX1 cost me when new.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Hmm - thanks for all the info. Have to admit that I'm sort of thinking of maybe getting its big brother instead. I already have quite a collection of Canon EF glass for my still cameras so wouldn't have to invest in a new lens - I have 16 - 35 and 14mm lenses so should have reasonably wide coverage.I"ll probably rent one and experiment for a week.
Alas some are waiting with hope for the eventual Metabones Canon to MFT Speed Booster.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:04 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I was thinking of getting a bmpcc to shoot interviews, what is the "Best" way to record audio into camera.
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #25
Wrangler

The best way is to buy a camera that's designed for it.
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kaplan View Post
I was thinking of getting a bmpcc to shoot interviews, what is the "Best" way to record audio into camera.

Hi Brent - For my interview setup, I use a $28.75 (with shipping) Wooden Camera hotshoe adapter, a $27 Kamerar Hot Shoe Extension, a used Audio Technica shotgun mic mounted on a $30 Campro Deluxe Shock Mount - connected to a Marshall hot shoe swivel adapter - mounted Zoom H1 with a $17 Hosa line matching transformer, and a $27 Sescom line to mic cable connecting the Zoom to the BMPCC.

I use the BMPCC headphone out for monitoring.

I turn the BMPCC input down until I lose the noise and use the recorder output volume to set my level.

Even though the Tascam DR-40 is pictured here instead of the Zoom, this will give you an idea of how the setup looks:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3...o/P1060006.JPG

I use the Zoom H1 instead of the DR-40 because the Zoom has an easy to access output level control.

To give credit where credit is due, I got this idea from Professor Duy Linh Tu at the Columbia School of Journalism, who uses a Canon EOS M for interviews:

I'm probably going to get a $99 Wooden Camera cage for the BMPCC, because this setup puts a lot of stress on the 1/4 - 20 screw mount on top of the camera.

With this setup, I get clean in-camera sound and a high quality backup for not a lot of money.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by Bill Bruner; November 4th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera