How are you editing raw files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old November 14th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Major Player

How are you editing raw files?

I set out to shoot raw footage with the Pocket Camera. Got my clips, put them on my computer...and now I can't edit them.

I'm using Premier Pro CS6. I go to the media browser and in each folder there is a 'clip' icon that can be scrubbed through, while still in the browser, but I can't import the clips at all. It really really sucks. I get 'the importer reported a generic error'.

I've found a bit of a long, workaround. I edit the images in Lightroom, export as psd files and import them. It takes FOREVER. I only did the one clip. I can't imagine trying to do this for a whole bunch of clips, especially if you're not sure you plan on using the clip or not.

So, how do you edit your raw footage?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How are you editing raw files?

Resolve 10. Its free, has much better raw handling and now has an NLE timeline built in.
Sam Tansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm trying Resolve...I'm still getting use to it.

Dumb question: Is there a way to edit the clips in Resolve and then bring it into Premier Pro for additional color corrections without losing any information?

Also, in Resolve (But not in PP) when I import audio, it has noise in it. The source file has no noise but Resolve is picking something up or adding something to it.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Jason. This might be worth examining. Alex the deveolper of the alternative conversion software used to and maybe still does shoot with the SI2K which is fairly close to the pocket camera format size.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...n-1-001-a.html
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Jason. This might be worth examining. Alex the deveolper of the alternative conversion software used to and maybe still does shoot with the SI2K which is fairly close to the pocket camera format size.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...n-1-001-a.html
Unfortunately, right now, according to the author, that program does not work with the RAW files from the Pocket camera (they are losslessly compressed in the camera unlike the other BM cameras that shoot RAW). The author is aware of this, and appears to be working on a fix.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Adobe Premiere Creative Cloud has recently added support,fr editing raw files. I updated my Pocket Cam a couple days ago, but haven't had the time to try editing the files I've shot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera