DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old November 19th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting Raw BMPCC Files

In need of direction. The raw DNG camera files download as a series of frames .DNG + a WAV audio file. All DNG files are composed of colour bands. Would this be camera metadata?

My target is Resolve v9. The folder imports to the media pool and colour window, displaying as empty black frames.

My rig: OSX.8.6 iMac 27in. Apple custom modified. FCPX, Davinci Resolve v9. Photoshop CS6 is available (not installed)

What would be my best course of action? Clearly the camera files are in need of conversion to be viewed as a photo series.

Info & suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Converting Raw BMPCC Files

Resolve 10 is needed for BMPCC raw from what I understand. Different (lossless) compression that BMCC which Resolve 9 supports.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Craig is right - there are a few options, but Resolve 10 is likely the best, if only for speed. Some have tried using Lightroom - myself included - and it seems to work fine for short clips, but if you get into something more than a few minutes, it quickly becomes cumbersome. I have 2 clips - some 90 GB total, over 50,000 frames - that Lightroom gagged on for over 10 hours, and barely got 1/3 of it rendered to TIFF.

One very interesting thing about BMPCC footage that I have noticed - each DNG is not necessarily a single frame grab, as most people seem to believe - rather, it is (or can be) an encapsulated MXF video clip if I understand the technical doc correctly. When I look at the project I am currently working on, I see anywhere from 1 - 14 frames in each DNG file. This probably allows the camera to write a uniform file size (about 2 MB per DNG) to the card, which may help maintain data rates, since the writes would come in bursts rather than a steady stream (I'm guessing here). I also have to wonder if this MXF encapsulation is why Resolve 9 does not deal with BMPCC footage. I've never used it, so I can't really say...

I believe that any application which properly deals with Cinema DNG can deal with these clips, even if they don't know what to do with a whole folder of them. Lightroom can turn them into a series of TIFF or JPEG files, and I've heard that Photoshop and Camera Raw can do the same - that makes sense though, as Adobe invented the Cinema DNG format.

I am curious if other raw converters handle the MXF clips properly. If not, that could be why they show up with stripes when you try to view them with the standard Apple or Microsoft RAW viewers.
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Craig and Jay, Thank you. Installed Resolve v10, problem solved. My only remaining hiccup, I'm unable to move the debayered DNGs to the edit and colour page!! Davinci Resolve v10 users manual contains info on raw file management, starting P 133. This may provide the answer.

Regards,

Ron.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You have to make a new timeline on the edit page first.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I really appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

The Sony 95mb/s SD card generated drop frames, displayed in Resolve v10 as a series of RGB images instead of a single clip icon. A SanDisk 95mb/s Extreme appears to be the card for BMPCC, no problem. My colleague loaned a 32GB Extreme SanDisk for testing. Purchased 2x 64GB SanDisk cards, (in transit) The two cards should provide 24min of camera recording.

Many thanks.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera