DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old December 20th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Major Player

BMPCC and Sony EX3

I have an EX3 that I mostly use with Nikon lenses as I do a lot of close-up work. The EX3 has a variable bit rate of up to 35MB/S whereas the BMPCC uses 220 MB/S in ProRes HQ mode. Both cameras offer 1080p25.

As I understand it the higher bit rate provides more information that can be useful in post-production. For my purposes the larger sensor size of the BMPCC would be a disadvantage as I have to use longer focal length lenses on the BPMCC for the same coverage as the EX3. The disadvantage being a shallower depth of field.

Under good conditions I can get pleasing results with my EX3 could I expect similar quality with a BMPCC?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: BMPCC and Sony EX3

Image quality wise, you'll see much improvement. But as far as ergonomics are concerned, it's pretty far from a run and gun type camera like the EX3. If you rig it out and use a tripod it will be fine. Most people are concerned about getting wider FOV with the 2.88 crop factor. I doubt you'll have problems with too shallow a DOF; It's super 16 sensor, not S35 or FF. Best bet is to borrow or rent one and test it out before buying.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Stephen, I hoped someone would say something like that.

I have played with a BMPCC at a dealers and agree on the ergonomics. However I always use a tripod or a stabiliser. I have read up a bit and looked at results on Youtube etc where it is hard to judge sharpness and other aspects of image quality.

I have also read the manual and I was surprised to see that in time-lapse mode there is a choice of 2 to 10 frames per interval but no single frame per interval. I would have thought a single frame option would have been the most popular choice and give the smoothest images.
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Best way to judge sharpness is to have someone shoot raw and share a cdng frame. That will give you the full lossless image that can be graded to your taste. I've found that the raw images actually have more detail than the prores, but opinions may differ on that.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

There is value to BMPCC for run and gun. It's small size makes it an excellent easy to carry stealth cameras. That doesn't fit everyone's run and gun needs but there's nothing else like it when you need to look like a tourist without a permit.

Get the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens with image stabilization and hand held will look OK. 2.88 Crop Factor makes that about a 35-100mm Full Frame lens equivalent.

Granted shooting with Tripod is best but the above will give you a small run and gun setup as the need arises.

For on camera audio get the Rode Video Mic Pro and turn up the gain switch.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 04:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
Thanks Stephen, I hoped someone would say something like that.

I have played with a BMPCC at a dealers and agree on the ergonomics. However I always use a tripod or a stabiliser. I have read up a bit and looked at results on Youtube etc where it is hard to judge sharpness and other aspects of image quality.

I have also read the manual and I was surprised to see that in time-lapse mode there is a choice of 2 to 10 frames per interval but no single frame per interval. I would have thought a single frame option would have been the most popular choice and give the smoothest images.
No, 2-10 frames refers to how often a single frame is shot. So 2 frames means every other frame is shot. Here is a time-lapse created using the 10-frame "interval" shooting RAW.

You can download the original uploaded video (.h264). The original RAW frames were graded in Lightroom and edited in Vegas Pro.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again Stephen, I am interested to hear that the RAW images have more detail.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Craig,

Your tips are appreciated – the price of the Panasonic 12-35 mm is a bit of a shock though. The Micro four thirds lenses do not appear to have aperture rings. I note that apertures can be set manually using the BMPCC up/down keys but I am unclear as to whether the selected aperture is displayed. Is there an aperture display?
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Mark, just to check that I have now got it right - if I set it to 2 frames I will speed the clip up by a factor of 2, whereas if set it to 10 frames I will speed it up 10 fold? If I use 1 second the increase will be 25 times and if I use1 minute the speed up will be 60 x 25 =1500 fold and so on?

I am impressed by your images. Did you use RAW to get the benefit of the increased dynamic range or were there other reasons? Also did you use the 14 – 140 Panasonic lens that you mentioned on your Vimeo site??
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Mark, just to check that I have now got it right - if I set it to 2 frames I will speed the clip up by a factor of 2, whereas if set it to 10 frames I will speed it up 10 fold? If I use 1 second the increase will be 25 times and if I use1 minute the speed up will be 60 x 25 =1500 fold and so on?

I am impressed by your images. Did you use RAW to get the benefit of the increased dynamic range or were there other reasons? Also did you use the 14 – 140 Panasonic lens that you mentioned on your Vimeo site??
Those are my calculations too. My time-lapse should look like 10X speed in movement. The 25X for 1 second depends on the frame rate you choose (so 30X for me!).

I used the Lumix 12-35mm f2.8. It is a great lens, and the OIS works very well (better than the 14-140mm). In this case, however, the camera was supported not handheld.

I find the RAW much easier to color correct than Pro Res and to be visibly higher resolution. I think many of the posted BMPCC videos are simply discolored, particularly the Pro Res-based ones, whatever the artistic claims. The BMPCC RAW video is so much sharper (in the good sense) than video from Canon DSLRs, and the color *can* be just as good if not better, leaving aside the dynamic range benefit.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Craig,

Your tips are appreciated – the price of the Panasonic 12-35 mm is a bit of a shock though. The Micro four thirds lenses do not appear to have aperture rings. I note that apertures can be set manually using the BMPCC up/down keys but I am unclear as to whether the selected aperture is displayed. Is there an aperture display?
Yes, there is an aperture display.

The 12-35mm lens is a real gem, in sharpness, quietness, and OIS. It is the only lens I took on an extended travel, and I did not miss having more choices - good in low light and the effective range of 36mm-105mm works very well for most shots.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Inner Circle

To add to Mark's comments the f2.8 aperture is constant. Even at 35mm it's still f2.8. IMHO it's the "workhorse" lens to get with the Pocket.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera