DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old October 29th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Inquiry About Blackmagic Design URSA

I doubt it. I didn't see anything about a battery except re mounting plates for V-Lock or AB batteries and I'm sure there's no media included.

I think this is a case where you spend $5k for the body and another $5 - $10k (or more) to have something you can actually shoot with. My take on what you can expect to get from BM is basically a sensor in a shell with some firmware and a couple of control buttons. I think they're pretty much in the business of selling a sensor with a lens mount and display and a few buttons, not a complete camera.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #17
Trustee

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044785-REG/blackmagic_design_cinecamursa4k_ef_ursa_4k_digital_cinema.html
The Ursa is in stock at B&H.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Trustee

I'm lost at why manufacturers are selling/designing cameras without viewfinders or with quite bad ones!

I can mount a monitor on the far fewer occasions that I need one. What I need is s really nice well thought through view finder.

Of course you can add after market but they never seem to integrate ad well.

As far as the Ursa...why that huge screen? Baffled !
Old October 31st, 2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Trustee

Do I read correctly that there is no way to use the iris on EF mount lenses, outside of a "momentary auto iris" button, and no plans to institute iris control? Am I missing something?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:30 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I think, particularly in the case of BM, they aren't selling cameras. They're selling a sensor and I/O block with a display of sorts and leaving it up to the user to build a real camera around it with parts sourced from third parties. Their motto should be "Every man a systems integrator"

Sort of like RED selling a "Brain", except you can get all the other parts from RED and they've been engineered to work together. Unlike BM.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, you just have to understand the business model and not be surprised. I have three BM "devices" so I'm obviously OK with the concept.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Haitham - here's a post where I list everything you need (Blackmagic shoulder kit, 2 x 32GB CFast 2.0 cards, a CFast 2.0 reader, a V mount battery plate and an inexpensive V mount battery solution):

If you want a cinema camera below $8000 that can also do weddings, I recommend the $5995 Blackmagic URSA EF mount with the $345 shoulder mount kit as pictured here: https://images.blackmagicdesign.com/media/products/ursa/accessories/batt... (link is external)

You'll also need a couple of $180 CFast 2.0 cards, a $50 Sandisk Extreme Pro CFast 2.0 Reader/Writer, a $185 V mount battery plate and a V mount battery solution of some kind (I would get a couple of $10 Sony NP-F550 batteries (link is external), a $50 NP-F to V-mount adapter (link is external) and a $17 dual battery charger (link is external)).

With $349 Rokinon 14mm T3.1, $479 Rokinon 35mm T1.5 and $309 Rokinon 85mm T1.5 lenses, you will have a very capable Super 35mm camera for a little over $8000 - with Ultra High Definition "4K" at 60fps, built-in XLR jacks, the ability to record to 12-bit RAW or 10-bit ProRes.

With this list, you can be up and running for a little over $7000 body-only.

Good luck!

Bill
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #22
Regular Crew

In fact, I am very much fascinated with URSA and have a big intention to purchase it. What makes me hesitated are some physical and technical attributes which I consider them drawbacks, such as heavy weight, no included battery, no view finder, no shoulder mount, etc.
It is quite early to arise this question but I find it necessary to do so before having any decision taken in this regard: is there any difference between URSA and Production 4K in terms of image quality (i.e. sharpness, color space, etc.)

Last edited by Haitham Lawati; November 5th, 2014 at 03:31 AM.
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Speculation on my part but I suspect they'd be pretty close assuming the same lens.
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Does URSA have built-in audio, or is it necessary to purchase an external microphone?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #25
Major Player

This review from Faymus Media should answer a lot of your questions:

Bill Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera