Bmpcc sold at 50% discount, is it still worth buying? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old June 7th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #91
Inner Circle

Re: Bmpcc sold at 50% discount, is it still worth buying?

Thx :) Chris, would I not loose the easy grading ability with Cineform raw? When I colorcorrect the raw dng's in aftereffects with adobe raw it takes just one click on "auto" to have a good starting point to tweak the image further, it only takes time because you need to correct every single shot in that way and not to mention the very long render times to get a editable file. I have seen that edius will be getting raw support in coming updates but I doubt it will have the same color correction tools like adobe raw has.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #92
Inner Circle

Noa:

Cineform Raw, like other raw codecs, is designed to preserve the raw benefits of latitude, etc.. With Cineform, after conversion, you can go into Studio and apply a base color correction that essentially carries over in the original file. You can choose a lut, as well as input and output settings, add sharpness and contrast, etc, And, with the original file on a time line in your editor, you can go back to studio, make a further change, or just return the file to its original settings, and it will instantly change in the editor.

On other hand, you can also download and use Davinci Resolve Lite from Black Magic, which is a high end color correction tool.
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #93
Inner Circle

Thx, I tried resolve but it looks to complicated for my use, I do have gopro studio though and will experiment with the cineform raw to see if that works better.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #94
Inner Circle

Yeah, I agree with the complicated part of Resolve, but I think things will become a bit more familiar in the next version.

I just got an email from Raw4Pro which explains that it now has the Cineform codec free:

"We have received a number of inquiries from people who don't quite believe that RAW 4 PRO v4.4.1 comes with completely FREE CineformRAW.

This is understandable, given the fact that CineformRAW was selling for about $500 for some years.
However it's true - you can get it completely free (no additional charge) with RAW 4 PRO now. We tested CineformRAW output up to 4K.

This is in addition to ProRes on Windows, H264, and DNxHD outputs.
RAW 4 PRO accepts compressed or uncompressed DNG input, as well as JPG timelapse folders. All Blackmagic cameras supported. Odyssey 7Q RAW DNG supported. Reads and syncs D16's AIF audio."

FYI, I was involved in testing early on, but I have no financial interest in Raw4Pro.
Old June 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #95
Inner Circle

I think (hope) Chris is right. What puts me off about Resolve is that it doesn't act like a normal PC program - you have to preset the directory you'll use and you can't add clips to the directory while the program is open (you can add them but it won't see them.) It only runs full screen, you can't minimize it (have to completely close it) etc. The actual operation of the program isn't so confusing, just the logistics around getting it running and aiming it at your media. It still smells like a stand alone workstation app, which it was.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera