Anyone here with the new BMPCC4K... I'd like to exchange some thoughts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old November 2nd, 2018, 12:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone here with the new BMPCC4K... I'd like to exchange some thoughts

Got it today. I am still waiting for the adapter (tomorrow) so I am only playing with the body. It feels a little "plastic" compared to other BMD cameras. I own a BMPC4K and remember a video with a car passing on it. This is a different camera. I like to hold it my hands though and the fact that's light will come in handy. I am not one of those crazy RIG guys. I will invest in CFAST cards and avoid external USB-C drive. I also bought many batteries so I will not need some strange power bank connection.... at least for now. The only thing I might need to fix on top of the camera might be a microphone.

Here are some problems I am encountering:

It seems either my battery door is broken or is very badly designed. It takes me almost 9-10 before I can get it to stay closed.

I bought the Bluetooth app for iPhone but can't get it to connect with the camera (I set Bluetooth to ON in the camera etc..)

I am trying to load some LUTs in the camera. I have many .cube LUTS, the camera sees them and recognises them but when I import they are not there.

Please share your experiences and help me if you know the answers to these issues
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 05:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone here with the new BMPCC4K... I'd like to exchange some thoughts

I have had my BMPCC4K for a couple of weeks now. Did my first "test" shoot the other day, but have not had time to do anything with it yet.

I too have had issues with the battery compartment. When I got the camera, the first thing I did was put the battery in it (after charging it). All was well, no issues with opening or closing the door. But when I went to remove the battery it would not come out. It only came up about 1/8", not even enough to gat a hold of.

Looking at the extra batteries I had bought, I noticed the notches in the base of the battery and was able to get a curved tweasers in there and eventually pried it out. A small piece of plasic also fell out. It looked like it could have been some sort of activation for a switch.

Everything works fine, except my battery readout now always says 0%.

I have gone with the external USB-C SSD. Cheaper bang for the buck than CFast cards, plus I won't need to buy a new card reader.

Haven't tried bluetooth or LUTs yet.

The only real deficiency I have found so far is that the LCD screen is fixed. I would give anything if it had been at least tilting. Fully articulated would have been ok too, but not something I crave. Basically, anything but fixed.

Can't wait for BMRAW to arrive. ProRes HD really chewed up the disk space.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. My battery door has been replaced. Took less than a week from my first message to the delivery at my front door. Great service. I think they had them slightly re-designed but it is still a bad battery door compared to Canon's or others. BMD confirmed to me that they have a problem with some brands where their batteries get stuck.

I've been using the camera for a week now, only testing, no real job. My results can be seen at the following links:

. (night test, 3200 ISO, Rokinon 35mm)
(highlights, 400 ISO, vintage lens Paragon 28mm f2.8)
(highlights, 400 ISO, did some RAW and ProRes comparison)

I like the camera. I think the missing tilting monitor is a problem. Also I wish they had designed the camera to use NP970 instead of LP-E6. I used an external NP970 original from Sony and lasted around 1h50m (just camera switched on but no recording). Patona Yellow lasted less than an hour.

I am also worried by the lack of an on board stabiliser as I can't find a nice MFT lens to buy. I just need a multipurpose lens as for rigged jobs I will use my Rokinon (no speed booster, just a metal ring adapter). Multipurpose lens should be zoom same focus all through, stabilised and possibly mechanical focus). I found that there are no mechanical focus lens and that the only constant aperture is the 12-35 that seems very bad in stabilisation (on GH5!... possibly worse on other brands). I think I will end up getting the PanaLeica 12-60 .. not 100% sure yet.

RAW is fantastic and the 13 stops of DR are all at my fingertips with Da Vinci. ProResHQ with SHARPNESS HIGH is very very sharp.. almost too much.. and I am trying to understand how they achieve that as I couldn't get the same sharpness working in Da Vinci on the RAW file (using SHARPNESS in the RAW tab). So I don't know. Why isn't the raw so sharp?

I am waiting for SmallRig to deliver me 8possibly 10 days or so) the half rig. Full rig is already in distribution but I prefer more compact rigs. Actually, if possible, I will tr to use no rig at all.

I think we all should buy a UV/IR Cut filter (it has been suggested to me... I have done some research and seems BM cameras need them) but I will procede when I decide what lens to buy.
Old November 13th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for posting the videos. I am following this camera quite closely as an option for the future, and am checking out most of the videos I can find. I have subscribed to your channel, hoping to see more.
Just a suggestion, I think you should include the lens(es) you used in the description for each video.
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I think I have done so in the other videos.. maybe not just at the last one (the lake/ducks video).
They are ROKINON 16mm and ROKINON 85mm

I will be using ROKINON set (16,24,35,85) + a "next to buy" Wide angle lens for my tripod/rig situations and I will soon purchase a 12-60mm Leica lens for when I am handled. There are not many allrounders with stabilisation in the MFT world.. so that will be a start.

I will be shooting a music video this weekend with the same camera.
thanks, M
Old November 23rd, 2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I had a stuck Canon LP-E6..Sent the camera back to BM. Haven't had any time to shoot with the camera.
I am very excited about this camera. Blackmagic raw coming soon. (rumor)

Interesting power & SSD solution.
BatBox4K ? Tearlach Wales Photo/Video
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2018, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

I have been playing with it few weeks. <really great cam. Yesterday I got Leica 12-60mm and it works great
Old November 26th, 2018, 06:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Is it possible to use this camera while it is plugged in and charging?
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

From Blackmagic Desgn web site:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...etcinemacamera

Flexible Power Options
Battery, DC and USB-C so
you can shoot all day long!
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K uses standard removable LP-E6 type batteries. You also get a locking DC power connector so it can’t be accidentally disconnected in the middle of a shoot. The included 100 - 240 volt plug pack can be used to simultaneously power the camera and charge the LP-E6 battery. Plus, it includes international socket adapters so it can be used anywhere in the world! The USB-C Expansion Port accepts power so you can charge the battery from portable battery packs, a mobile phone charger or even your laptop computer! The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K gives you a wide range of flexible power options so you can shoot all day!
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2018, 07:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes. Unfortunately suck batteries very quickly but you can input from 7 to 18v so you can look for solutions around. I am personally working on a custom one myself.
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera