First I thought it was a hoax but it is not. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old July 17th, 2020, 01:04 AM   #1
Inner Circle

First I thought it was a hoax but it is not.

BM has built a camera which leapfrogs the 8K wall and is capable of 12K motion vision.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...gicursaminipro
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2020, 12:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: First I thought it was a hoax but it is not.

I think the whole resolution thing is a lot of marketing hype with stunning specs. I'm not saying it's a bad camera but I don't expect it to change the world.

edit: $10k wow that's a lot, I assume they're positioning it to compete with Red and Arri. I'm definitely not in the market for that level of camera.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; July 17th, 2020 at 07:37 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Would be a nice cam package to have but like they said, the URSA Mini Pro 12K (the sticker price is actually $10K-;) is designed for high end feature film production. The G2 at (only) $6K, I suppose, would be the B-Roll cam. Prices are for the bare-bones cams.

The 220 fps would be an interesting feature to have for not only those typical action "feature films" but also for some science and engineering work.

Question: how would 12K Super 35 compare to something shot on a full frame?

It'd be nice to do work that'd have the budget to support this level of gear.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2020, 07:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Here is the release video with Grant Petty explaining the new camera features:

(Jump to 38:02 for the camera announcement)

At 48:02, Grant mentions that this new sensor design is “not really a Bayer pattern” and that the sensor has a “different pattern” with “the same amount of red, green and blue in the pattern on the sensor”.

Therefore it can do the scaling inside the sensor itself, so you can switch to 12K, 8K or 4K. And he used the word “scaling” rather than “cropping”. I’m a massive fan of over-sampling (especially with the 4K footage from my Pocket 6K), so an over-sampled 4K image from a 12K sensor really gets my attention. Especially with full RGB coming from the sensor itself.

In terms of the “sensor-compression-editing” pipeline, I suspect BM will have an opportunity to really optimize the whole workflow for this product in a way that their competitors can’t (new sensor design, new BRAW, but most particularly with Resolve for editing). But we’ll have to wait and see.

My guess is they’re starting at the high-end for this new-style sensor release and will "trickle down" this sensor design to their lower-end 4K and 6K products over the next year or so.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

David thanks for sharing. Its interesting hearing the thinking behind the decisions. Many of these features sound good as long as they work in the real world. Its also hard to see the quality when watching an hd YouTube video. Its also a reminder that for many workflows that deliver hd content it's not worth spending the money on a camera it will be lost on. I was impressed with the zooming in the level of detail was good.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera