Focal reducers ( speedboosters ) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old October 14th, 2020, 10:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Focal reducers ( speedboosters )

Just a little hint for folk to do their own fixit if you happen to have an URSA with a focal reducer fitted in the throat. My arrangement has a Caldwell (speedbooster) in the throat of a "big" URSA.

A few Lucadapters may have been ordered with the optional Caldwell optical cell for URSA and URSA Mini.

If you dismantle for a clean, be aware that the Caldwell optical cell can be refitted back to front and it will still work.

Rather it will seem to work but you will soon find the collimation (what some call backfocus) of the lenses is way out.

The long lenses will work. The zooms will go nuts, The ultrawides in the ballpark 12mm to 25mm will be way off infinity focus and be very furry in the corners as well.

I have just sent myself a little insane thinking I had messed my shimming up. I pulled things to bits and totally missed the Calwell optical cell having been reversed.

While I was in the guts of the turret stomping about, I cleaned out and replaced the thermal compound where needed.

I had swapped out a sensor from an EF-Mount turret into a PL-Mount turret and found the shimming brought across from the EF-Mount turret was off for the PL-Mount turret, so used the original shim set for the PL-Mount turret and all was well or so it seemed.

It is probably good practice to take notes, even phone photos as well as systematically laying out parts.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera