HyperDeck Shuttle from Blackmagic Design - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #106
New Boot

Re: HyperDeck Shuttle from Blackmagic Design

Hi Kristian,
thanks for the tips.
Which is exactly the voltage range the shuttle will tolerate?
It needs 12V regulated or it's a friendly 11-16V or 5-16V?
Is the corsair force ssd ok? It 220MB/sec+ in read and writing! ;)
Which solution you adopted for mounting it on camera or rods? Has it 1/4 20 or 3/8 16 holes for mounting?
Or you will sell it with a bracket?
Have you some pics of the shuttle mounted to share? ;)
Thanks!
T.
Tommaso Alvisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #107
Major Player

Re: Hyperdeck: uncompressed w/5DMII?

hi all,

I was just reading up on the BlackMagic Hyperdeck recorder. I have the Sony FX-7 Video camera. I wonder if it will work with this camera? There are a few things I don't understand about what the info/says about this device. They talk about that this unit can use "low cost" SSDs? I was not familuar with low cost SSDs. I thought that all SSDs were expensive. I have read that Seagate is making a Hybrid SSD 500GB for about $130-150 USD. Would this work and if yes this is not to expensive.

Also, what exactly is the point for using compressed video like on a P2 card? I can just use my DV tapes if I want compressed video. Are P2 card less compressed than on my DV tapes? I would think the purpose of a device like this is to get away from compressed video and not to have to import the footage into my computer, of course.

I just wondered how this product and the Nija are able to record uncompressed HD on a single HDD? The Ninja is supposed to be able to use standard low cost 7200 RPM drives. When I need at least 5-7 7200RPM disk RAID to capture uncompressed HD to my computer. I am missing something i am sure. Because if someone has found a way to capture uncompressed HD on a single drive why cant they apply this technology to a computer?

John Gerard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
I looked at this device at NAB this week and it is impressive. It will not work with any of the Canon HD-DSLR's because of the lack of a clean signal coming out via HDMI. I believe that it could be used on the Panasonic GH2. I see the real market for the Hyperdrive being Sony EX1's and EX3's or other smaller chip cameras that have SDI out.

Impressive device.
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #108
Major Player

Re: HyperDeck Shuttle from Blackmagic Design

Hi John,

If you're shooting with an FX-7 (as I am myself), then you're probably not doing the kind of work that really warrants uncompressed video, like national broadcast TV spots. I have no experience yet with the HyperDeck Shuttle, but have used the Ninja on a few jobs and it works well with the HDMI out of HDV cameras, and eliminates the compression blocks seen in HDV footage.

To clarify, the Ninja does NOT record uncompressed video - it records to the Apple ProRes codec in your choice of LT, 422, or HQ quality modes. It's probably confusing because Ninja says it "records the uncompressed signal out of your camera", meaning the HDMI coming out of the camera is an uncompressed signal. ProRes is however compressed, though it is said to be "visually lossless".

I've shot stage events with the Ninja running several hours and used an inexpensive 500GB laptop drive ($79) and it performed perfectly. The Shuttle is obviously not meant for long-form recording of this type, really comparing apples and oranges. A 7200rpm laptop drive in the Ninja has no trouble capturing a single stream of ProRes.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle