DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-design-hyperdeck-shuttle/)
-   -   Hyperdeck Shuttle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-design-hyperdeck-shuttle/500553-hyperdeck-shuttle.html)

Gerald Webb March 7th, 2012 09:49 PM

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle

Thanks for that Paul.
It'l do me fine.
cheers

Lee Mullen March 8th, 2012 09:18 PM

Wow cannot believe that you would get only 1/2 an hour of footage on a 256GB SATA drive. Are there any compressed settings for use with Premiere CS5.5?

Paul Kapp March 9th, 2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1719865)
Wow cannot believe that you would get only 1/2 an hour of footage on a 256GB SATA drive. Are there any compressed settings for use with Premiere CS5.5?

That is with uncompressed video.
With the new Shuttle 2 and firmware 2.5, there are 2 types of Avid compressed DNxHD one of which works well with Premiere.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmag...rts-dnxhd.html

Jay Bloomfield April 1st, 2012 01:49 PM

See here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...ml#post1724369

ffmbc now supports reading of the op-atom DNxHD MXF files from the Hyperdeck series.

Kent Nguyen May 2nd, 2012 01:08 PM

Hi Guys

I have a Canon XLH1 and a Sony Ex1 (eraly firmware-1.02). The question is can I use this device for my cameras?

Much appreciated

Kent.

Zach Love May 2nd, 2012 04:56 PM

Kent Nguyen
They both have HD-SDI, so yes.

Kent Nguyen May 3rd, 2012 07:05 AM

Dear Zach
for the EX1, The recording format is in MPEG4. For the Hyperdeck can only record uncompressed file which lasts only 12.5 minutes on 120Gbs. I just wonder if the Hyperdeck can do the compressed file as the SxS card?

Best

Ron Aerts May 9th, 2012 11:26 PM

You can use DNxHD codec which is explained here:
DNxHD codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it gives you about 4-5 times more recording time
Your editor must support this format natively, when you start converting (ffmpeg) you'll usually end up 8-bit

Paul Kapp May 14th, 2012 09:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Shuttle on F900.

Felix van Oost May 17th, 2012 09:15 AM

Hi guys,

I'm considering getting a Hyperdeck 2 for my work (recording in DNxHD), but I'm wondering whether you are actually seeing any significant differences in quality over the standard internal camera codecs? I know there must be some difference, but does it justify the massive hike in file sizes in your eyes?

Chris Medico May 17th, 2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix van Oost (Post 1733777)
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting a Hyperdeck 2 for my work (recording in DNxHD), but I'm wondering whether you are actually seeing any significant differences in quality over the standard internal camera codecs? I know there must be some difference, but does it justify the massive hike in file sizes in your eyes?

If you are doing green-screen work or serious compositing then it can be truly beneficial. If you are shooting straight video and you are happy with the look of your current footage the improvement will not likely be noticed.

Alex Humphrey November 8th, 2012 08:15 PM

Paul, How do you like the footage from your hyperdeck on your JVC bypassing the HDV compressor? I've got a JVC HD-110 that I could get a Component/SDI or Component/HDMI converter and use one myself. Would love to keep my camera and move away from HDV for better post work and final results.

Any practical testing have you done with some side by side footage for example?

thanks

Paul Kapp December 5th, 2012 07:42 AM

Hi Alex and sorry for the slow reply.
The picture from a JVC GYHM750 was quite noisy even from the HDSDI output.
There was not a great advantage over HDV.

I had the HD-111.
Once you converted 720p analogue to compressed 10bit digital I would imagine it would have a very noisy picture.
It may be better to stick with HDV.

John Gerard January 10th, 2013 10:58 PM

Hi all,
Paul great post. I have just a few simple newbie questions about the BMD Hyperdesk Shuttle 2.
In my work I was using Adobe Premiere Pro 5 and switched to using Pinnacle Studio for the ipad. Currently My setup consists of the following...
Canon 60D camera
Hyperdrive UDMA2
Ipad3 using the Apps Pinacle Studio, Video Grade, Photofrge2, Artstudio and DispRecorder.
I already have a Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD. I called BMD and that drive has been tested to work with the Hyperdesk Shuttle 2.
I also have the Sony FX-7 camera.
I wanted to turn this camera into a tapeless recording camera. I need a device that can record in the iPad h.264 MOV file format directly. I read many of the notes here and it looks like all formats are uncompressed file formats for the Hyperdesk Shuttle 2. Is this correct? Is any one of the formats comparable with the ipad?
I would like a device that could record 3-5 hours of video on a single 480GB SSD.
My Canon 60D can record 45 minutes on a 32GB SD memory card. I am using magic lantern version 2.3. I think the video quality is quite good. I have a consumer grade lens for the camera.

Thanks,
John Gerard

Neil Richards January 19th, 2013 08:03 PM

Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 latest firmware supports two compressed file formats: DNxHD and Prores HQ, both 10bit 4:2:2. I've used both but latterly mostly Prores on a 128GB SSD and I get around 60 minutes of recording at 1080p 24fps, so your 480GB SSD should do around 4 hours of recording or so.

Hope that helps

Neil