hyperdeck drive, capture and edit questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 20th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Trustee

hyperdeck drive, capture and edit questions

I've read most of the posts in this forum and also spoke to someone at BH. I'm thinking about getting one for a music video on Wednesday, for which the producer was planning on renting an Aja ki pro mini ( which I have used). I'd have to get it for Tuesday am delivery, to give me time to play with it.
Here are my questions:
1- We edit in Premier 5.0, but some clients use fcp.What are my setting and bit rate options for shooting for both platforms? I assume the HD quiktime files are easily imported into Cs5, just like clips from a Canon 7d. Is that correct?

2- One of the reccomended drives is the vertex oc3 240 gig drive. How would I figure out the recording time for the different rates on this drive?

3- When I read the specs on the Vertex oc3 240, it said that the drive had to be formatted to use on a pc, and that a specific software was needed. Can anyone clarify this?
Thanks for any information.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: hyperdeck drive, capture and edit questions

@Bruce.
Answer to 1- Yes, Quicktime files are easily ingested into Premiere 5, if Quicktime 7 Pro is installed on your pc.

2- Depending on the bitrate your camera is outputting, you will use approx 10Gb/minute for uncompressed HD 1080p 25fps, and approx 2Gb/minute for DNxHD 185 1080p 25 compressed, Qt or MXF.
So about 24 minutes for UC and 2hrs for DNxHD, slightly less for 30p.
I have found that it is better not to completely fill a drive.
I'm guessing it's good to leave 20% empty.
I began to get dropped frames near the end of a drive's capacity on the one occassion I filled it.

3- I use Mac Drive 8 on my pc to format the SSD's in apple hfs+. It is relatively easy to do this via a USB/eSATA dock.

p.s. I tried the Lightworks beta and it opens and edits the Shuttle Qt UC files no problems, but not the DNxHD.
Apparently the new Lightworks open source release due on May 28 has an upgrade which will include DNxHD, Prores and many other codecs for an extra $60.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Trustee

Paul,
Thanks for the info.
What is "lightworhs" btw?
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

@Bruce.
I only rediscovered it myself yesterday, though I remember it from a long time ago.
It is a non linear editor that was originally for film and is now free with more features.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:25 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, Paul
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle