The best way to archive finished projects for future transfer to Bluray or HD DVD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 18th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I see there are even gold-layered DVDs which are inkjet printable. Interesting...

http://www.mam-a.com/products/gold/standard.html
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #17
Trustee

People have to get past the analog mindset of archivalness as "avoiding degradation in perpetuity". In the digital world there are other considerations:
  • Media longevity
  • Reader + driver availability
  • File format obsolescence
Therefore, it is not imperative that the media last forever; merely to outlast the other two factors.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quite so. In the case of the private library I was working with, the collection is over 40 years old, and they were indeed concerned about 100-200 years.

The useful life of most of the content I deal with is perhaps 2 years. Standard DVD-R is just a little chancey, but HD is fine for that time range, IMHO.

It is important to recognize that a DVD-R that we burn today may be nothing in as little as 2 years, depending. A DVD-R with gold reflective layer is not only good for many more years, but also will have fewer errors in 2 weeks, good for sending to a replication service.

CD and DVD standards have a significant amount of error correction built-in. They'll work until one day the errors become too significant to correct, then that's it. The aluminum reflective layer is really starting to deteriorate immediately as oxygen infiltrates the DVD. Gold is *much* more inert, oxygen doesn't degrade it. There are some silver and silver/gold forumulations as well.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
The useful life of most of the content I deal with is perhaps 2 years. Standard DVD-R is just a little chancey, but HD is fine for that time range, IMHO.
Why would you say HD is less chancey over the next two years than DVDs? From what I hear, Blu-ray in particular can be more fragile with repeated use than DVDs. I wonder how long before there's a gold-layer Blu-ray disc...?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
Why would you say HD is less chancey over the next two years than DVDs? From what I hear, Blu-ray in particular can be more fragile with repeated use than DVDs. I wonder how long before there's a gold-layer Blu-ray disc...?
HD = Hard Drive not High Def
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry View Post
HD = Hard Drive not High Def
Which can be abbreviated HDD (hard disk drive) to avoid confusion...
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring