Blue ray HD burner for apple DVD Studio Pro? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old February 24th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
To be honest, I don't understand the licensing and approval issue. If I want to but the Bluray logo on my disc, I understand that requires licensing. But if I use software that "happens" to write data to a Bluray disc such that, when that disc is inserted into a Bluray player, it can play a high-def movie, why does the software or process require anybody's blessing?

Maybe I am missing something, but I'm comparing this with DVDs. I can burn a writeable DVD such that it plays video in many/most DVD players. I cannot, however, legally put the DVD logo on it. If I want to do that, I have to obtain a license or go through a replication facility that has one.

What is different with Bluray? I would be thrilled if I could just burn a Bluray disc, I don't need to put a Bluray logo on it.

- Martin
I agree and as was said in another post if the independant can't author their product in HD - blue ray then who dose sony plan to sell all their 3-9k cameras to, if they continue down this path they will loose money in other areas their has to be a compromise some where its a bad bad marketing decision to leave the indies hanging.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #17
Major Player

Here we are still waiting

It's June and we have a NEW IPHONE *woot*

No flippin blu-ray solution from apple. So that leaves me wondering what to do next.

I bought toast 8 and am looking for a good drive for my 2008 mac pro. I also (like the eariler poster metioned) intetionally left my second drive bay empty in the hopes I could get a BR burner soon.

WWDC NOT.

So what are we supposed to do with all this glorious HD footage we shoot? appleTV it?

What have you guys been doing?
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #18
Go Go Godzilla

Gary,

Keep in mind the HD format wasn't created for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD exclusively it's original intended purpose was to replace SD television standards - broadcast. And since every video camera on the market (not digi-film replacements such as RED/Viper etc) are designed to the HDTV spec then there won't be any slowdown in camera sales simply because BR isn't available to the lowly indie-producer.

Mike,

As you know Apple nor anyone else has made any formal announcement about BR capabilities for the end-user NLE solutions. Currently there *still* are only 2 options for fully authoring a BR disc: Sony Blu-Print or Sonic Scenarist. Both are exorbitantly expensive, both PC-only apps and as of today you still have to be an authorized post-facility to use the BR logo on anything you produce.

So while there are Mac-compatible BR burners and very limited "authoring" options (Encore, Toast 9 Titanium etc.) there still does not exist any fully-BR spec'd authoring option for the Mac. When it will come is anyone's guess but personally I'm sick-to-death of Apple's over-the-top attention to the iPhone. More and more pro-apps are becoming the step-child they rarely pay attention to.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Most folks I know don't care about full Blu-ray authoring capabilities, they just want to be able to burn a basic Blu-ray disc. The most common Mac-based solution at this time is to edit in FCS, export the results to Adobe Encore CS3 to create a Blu-ray image file and then use Toast to burn that to a BD-R disc. It's disappointing that Apple doesn't have a more direct solution almost two years after consumers started buying Blu-ray players, and as a growing list of Windows apps starting at ~$50 offer Blu-ray support.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #20
Go Go Godzilla

For something that basic you don't need Encore at all and in fact very few people will have both FCS and PPCS3 at the same time much less on the same machine.

Toast 9 Titanium is very capable of making tracks-only or over-simplified BR menus (think of a dumbed-down iDVD), Panasonic and Pioneer both make internal and external BR burners that talk to 10.5 nicely. The key to making a good encode however is to use the built-in BR settings in Compressor 3 with appropriate bitrate settings. (disregard the title of the encoder - I simply modified a previous custom setting to show the BR options)
Attached Thumbnails
Blue ray HD burner for apple DVD Studio Pro?-picture-1.jpg   Blue ray HD burner for apple DVD Studio Pro?-picture-2.jpg  

Old June 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #21
Major Player

OK Sweet

OK,

This is more like it, Thanks Robert! For I minute I thought you to be a pessimist :)

I really only want to produce basic BR disks without and copy protection etc.

I am not pleased at being left in the dust regarding the pro apps.

Come on what is the hold up anyway? I read in macrumors (I think) that they were waiting for Sony to make a special Uber Drive that could do all formats for the macbook but they couldn't do it until DEC? I mean it's mac rumors so......

Poineer BDR-202? Has anyone used this drive?
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #22
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
OK,

This is more like it, Thanks Robert! For I minute I thought you to be a pessimist :)
Not pessimistic, just disappointed in the ongoing lagging-behind in updated features that FCS suffers from compared to even less costly PC apps. (Don't get me started, laughs)
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #23
Major Player

I still have my PC/Vegas system, and am considering using it exclusively for Blu-Ray burning. I'd have to apologize to my Quad for the betrayal, even though I'm mad at it...It's complicated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring