30F and 29.97fps progressive BluRay Export at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old February 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Inner Circle

30F and 29.97fps progressive BluRay Export

I'm shooting 30F, that's 1080p30. In Adobe Premiere CS3, I can only encode 1080i with 29.97fps. It won't let me encode in Progressive mode. Would there be any quality loss or impact if I author a 29.97fps interlaced video but the source is 30F?

Thanks
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Trustee

What is the original format? Like DVCPRO HD, it does say 1080/30p and 720/30p and all of that but it is actually 29.97 most of the time.

Thought when I shot 720/24p (actually 23.976), when I put it on DVD, I transcoded it to 720/60i first before I placed it in Encore.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Trustee

Oh, by the way, for Blu-ray, I think you can burn it as 30f and Blu-ray players would play it as 29.97 if the parameters in the player is set right.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Taky,

Go to the Adobe website and search for PRESETS and Canon 30F. For whatever reason they were available for CS2 but not included in CS3.

Since I found this, it made my life so much easier!

BTW, get all the presets that should be a group of files. Follow the directions and don't skip any steps and you should be all good!
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Ryan, thanks for your response. My question was about exporting to Bluray in 1080p30 not editing. I already have the Canon preset downloaded.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Taky,

gotcha, sorry about that, but I do want to add...

I have found BluRay burned discs to greatly differ depending on the TV.

There are some newer LCD HDTVs that tout the 120hz technology as well as the "ability to display 24p". But the disc is 29.97.... ? In my opinion, they make BluRay discs look poor, almost like a Soap Opera. Very disappointed. When those options are turned off, the BluRay disc looks much better, despite the 1080i encode. I haven't encountered any other issues despite the lack of 1080p.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I only worry if the source video is 1080p and now I encode to 1080i that I will lost half the resolution.
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Trustee

On a similar note, I have a 1280x720 29.97 FPS quicktime animation file, provided to me from a client that I need to get onto a bluray. Encore CS3 does not appear to have preset for this. I can only choose 23.97FPS or 59.97 frames per second. I see a 3rd option of 29.97fps which would seem to be the one I need but when I select this it forces the resolution to 720x480. There seems to be no provision for 720p 30/29.97 fps footage. Anyone else seeing this?

On that same line, Encore Cs3 seems to be very limited/buggy when it comes to Blu-ray support....I mean it works but with so many little issues....I am about to scream.

THanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #9
New Boot

Marty,

Could you expand on the Encore's problems with blu-ray export? I was planning on using it for a project I am working on.

Ryan
Ryan M. Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Trustee

Ryan,
I am glad to say that I have solved the problem, which wasn't really even a problem but a wrong setting buried inside of the encoder of Premiere/Encore.

First, there still appears to be no 720p 29.97fps/30fps blu-ray setting. Maybe this is not an issue, maybe it is, but you cannot author a blu-ray project in encore in this setting. THere is only 23.97fps and 59.97fps both of which are progressive. There is a 3rd setting that says 29.97i but as soon as you select it the project resolution goes to 720x480....weird. So I can only use the other 2, which neither fits directly. I was using the 59.97 setting to encode my .m2v file from Premiere Pro Cs3.

Initially I was getting crappy results.....lower horizontal resolution and you could see the jaggies on all diagonal lines. Zooming caused objects to "twitter" as they passed though the half res lines. I tried everything I could think of, even going back to Premiere Pro 2 and encoding, which actually created a proper .m2v file that looked great on the PC. However when importing it into Encore, It was not recognized as a valid blu-ray mpg and would need re-rendered and then, the lower rez blu-ray would result again since Encore uses the same encoder and settings PPRO CS3. I was frustrated as all get out. 2 days of trial and error and I couldn't get my client's 4 minute 720P quicktime onto a blu-ray properly.

The solution. It is simple and may seem obvious to others but I missed it, and I think it might be a mistake by adobe.

When you go to the adobe encoder and choose blu-ray mpg2 for output type, you select all the proper settings (framerate, bitrate, audio, etc.)and I normally export from there. But for some reason I clicked over in the left area where it shows a preview of the project inside the encoder box, and saw there is an input tab and output tab at the top. In theory, if you are exporting to a different resolution you can preview how the video is going to altered here. So exporting a 16x9 video to a 4x3 setting will show if the video is being letterboxed or stretched. I was exporting to the same resolution so I had not even looked here. Lo and behold there is a checkbox on this tab that says "deinterlace", and it is checked by default. I unchecked it and the movies since have looked perfect.

Why this is set to de-interlace by default is beyond me. I went back and looked at a blu-ray I created a few months ago from 24p HVX200 source material and it too had been deinterlaced. So....hopefully my 48 hours of extreme frustration with Adobe CS3 media encoder will help someone else avoid this pifall. IF someone else can verify that this is set to deinterlace by default, please let me know.

Good luck....and always doublecheck that de-interlace option!

Peace.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring