What's the situation on Blu-Ray? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old April 7th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the situation on Blu-Ray?

I might have missed something with this whole HD-DVD Blu-Ray kerfuffle

But now i've got my first project to be delivered on a HD Format so my ears have picked up.

What's the deal with Final Cut Studio 2 >> Blu-Ray workflow?

Project is HD720p and customer wants it in HD Format.

As far as i know DVD Studio Pro still doesn't support Blu-Ray? What's the alternative options??? Any 3rd Party Blu-Ray authoring software??

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have heard that Adobe Encore is the viable BR alternative, but I don't know any more than that.
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Save it to DLT in 720p and outsource it to someone who can burn bluerays.
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Right now the only way to burn Blu-Ray from FCP is with Adobe. The currentversion of Premiere includes Encore DVD w/ Blu-ray.

I don't think we'll be seeing an Apple blu-ray solution to soon. I've been contacted by both Adobe and Apple to get them Pioneer blu-ray burners to use in displaying a mac based blu-ray workflow @ NAB events.

Gary
http://www.videoguys.com/adobe.htm
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Any theory or speculation why Apple isn't pursuing this quicker or at all?
If it's pretty much in the bag that Blu-Ray is it... why isn't Apple trying accomodate it?
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Trustee

I think the smart assumption is that they are.

However, Apple has a long history of taking extra time on a lot of it's key software in order to put something "special" in their execution.

Right now, we'd logically expect BluRay capabilities to get put into DVD Studio Pro - but that's part of the entire FCP Suite of software, and no matter what else you can say, there's very little "simple" about DVDSP.

I know they're not official exhibiting, but they have used the show week to announce major upgrades to FCP in the past - so perhaps we'll hear something from Apple concurrent with NAB in a couple of weeks.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for your advice guys. I've started to look for any facilities houses that do Blu-Ray but even that's a hard job.

It might be a case of buying a Multi-Format burner (which i heard exists!), using HD-DVD For this particular job, and then wait for Apple to come up with the software goods for Blu-Ray.

Doesn't Toast 8 have Blu-Ray compatibility?
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I know they're not official exhibiting, but they have used the show week to announce major upgrades to FCP in the past - so perhaps we'll hear something from Apple concurrent with NAB in a couple of weeks.
It appears Apple will have some sort of presence at the FCPUG Supermeet on Wednesday night (MGM Grand.)
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rostance View Post
Thanks for your advice guys. I've started to look for any facilities houses that do Blu-Ray but even that's a hard job.

It might be a case of buying a Multi-Format burner (which i heard exists!), using HD-DVD For this particular job, and then wait for Apple to come up with the software goods for Blu-Ray.

Doesn't Toast 8 have Blu-Ray compatibility?
TOAST 9 definitely has it.

http://www.toast-9-titanium.com/
Sean James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Go Go Godzilla

Neil,

If you do a search on the forum (not just on the Mac topic list) you'll see many threads about the current Mac/Blu-Ray status. Here's just one:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=118581
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
It appears Apple will have some sort of presence at the FCPUG Supermeet on Wednesday night (MGM Grand.)
Yeah, Apple will be there. Details at www.lafcpug.org under the supermeet link.

The past few years, Apple has even set up a camera where attendees can record messages and feature requests that are viewed directly by the FCP development team. Plus it's not uncommon for guys like Brian Meaney (the FCP product manager) and even groups of the programs engineers to stop by the meeting.

So if you're curious about FCP or already a user, this is pretty much the central HUB meeting for the FCP community each year.

If you come, stop and say Hi. I'll be at the ticketing desk visiting with old friends and and organizing (if you can call it that) the raffle tickets and the $90,000 plus in raffle stuff we typically give away.

This year we're at the MGM Grand on Wednesday starting at 5pm or so.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring