Do most BluRay players play AVCHD disks? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old June 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Do most BluRay players play AVCHD disks?

I'm wondering how common AVCHD playback is on current BluRay players. I assume it is not a requirement of the BluRay standard, and thus not found on all BluRay players.

My concern is that AVCHD disks which I author now will be unplayable on many if not most players in the future. Not a great way to save important family memories for future viewing.....

Anybody know if the AVCHD format support is either required or even commonly found on today's and tomorrow's BluRay players?

Thanks for any feedback.

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Well yeah, all Blu-ray player can play AVC codec, that is the spec, AVC, MPEG2 and VC-1
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Major Player

This is where my confusion arises. Even though all BluRay players have an AVC codec, the disk structure of an AVCHD is another different format, BDMV rather than BDAV. In addition, my disks are red laser 4.7 GB disks, whereas the normal BluRay players demand blue laser content to play BDAV.

Therefore, the AVCHD disks I am making can only play in some BluRay players but not others, even though all BluRay players know how to play AVC/h.264 encoded files. I am wondering if most BluRay players can do this, or only a few. I know my Playstation 3 plays them properly, but I have no access to other BluRay players to try out my disks.

Thanks for any opinions.

Larry
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Trustee

I have no personal experience with this topic, but what I've read has given me the impression that BD players with older firmware are the ones that may not play AVCHD on DVD-R, whereas with current firmware, no problem.
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I have no personal experience with this topic, but what I've read has given me the impression that BD players with older firmware are the ones that may not play AVCHD on DVD-R, whereas with current firmware, no problem.
Exactly. By the time you get to level 1.1 you are OK.
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Bob. Your reply is really very encouraging. Mahalo and Alohaaaaaa!!Larry
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #7
New Boot

Any updates?

I wondering the same before I buy a DVD player.

I have an Sr12E.
Saif Faris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Trustee

I have a new Sony BD300 player that will play BR mpeg2 and BR h.264 burned onto DVD-R. The displayed HD video is excellent, but I have had problems with stutter and audio dropout if I encode higher than 18 mbs VBR (with max set at 23mbs).
VBR 18/23 mbs is flawless, VBR 20/25 mbs is where I see the problems. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my workflow, a limitation of the player, or a limitation of DVD-R.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I have a new Sony BD300 player that will play BR mpeg2 and BR h.264 burned onto DVD-R. The displayed HD video is excellent, but I have had problems with stutter and audio dropout if I encode higher than 18 mbs VBR (with max set at 23mbs).
VBR 18/23 mbs is flawless, VBR 20/25 mbs is where I see the problems. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my workflow, a limitation of the player, or a limitation of DVD-R.
The spec for Blu-ray is 40Mb/s total bitrate, but for DVD, the spec is 9.8Mb/s (1x speed). To meet the specs, a player would have to guarantee handling 9.8Mb/s from a DVD-R and 40Mb/s from a Blu-ray disc, but how the player handles bitrates between 9.8 and 40 on a DVD-R may be up to the player and may be player-dependent.
Dave Rosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Major Player

This raises some doubt, particularly if the newest AVCHD cameras like the Canon HF11 encode at 23 MB/sec. The resulting AVCHD disks may play with all sorts of stutter and other artifacts if the red laser DVD-R can't deliver the neccesary bitrate when used for AVCHD disks.

Larry
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosky View Post
The spec for Blu-ray is 40Mb/s total bitrate, but for DVD, the spec is 9.8Mb/s (1x speed). To meet the specs, a player would have to guarantee handling 9.8Mb/s from a DVD-R and 40Mb/s from a Blu-ray disc, but how the player handles bitrates between 9.8 and 40 on a DVD-R may be up to the player and may be player-dependent.
I can't find the link to verify it, but as I recall, any DVD recorded with Blu-ray material would play at up to 3x the DVD speed in a Blu-ray player. Thus, up to about 30Mb/second would be possible.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I think that 3X thing had to do with HD-DVD players.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I found the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray...5_Blu-ray_Disc

Quote:
BD9/BD5 Blu-ray Disc

BD9 and BD5 are lower capacity variants of the Blu-ray Disc that contain Blu-ray compatible video and audio streams contained on a conventional DVD (650 nm wavelength / red laser) optical disc. Such discs offer the use of the same advanced compression technologies available to Blu-ray discs (including MPEG-4-AVC/H.264, SMPTE-421M/VC-1 and MPEG-2) while utilizing lower cost legacy media. BD9 utilizes a standard 8152MB DVD9 dual-layer disc while BD5 utilizes a standard 4489MB DVD5 single-layer disc.[77]

Given that Blu-ray Discs are assumed to have a minimum transfer rate of 30.25 Mbit/s, BD9/BD5 discs must be spun at high speed, equivalent to a 3× DVD drive speed or greater.

BD9 and BD5 discs can be authored using home computers for private showing using standard DVD±R recorders. AACS digital rights management is optional.[78]

The BD9 format was originally proposed by Warner Home Video, as a cost-effective alternative to regular Blu-ray Discs.[79] It was adopted as part of the BD-ROM basic format, file system and AV specifications. BD5 and BD9 are similar to 3× DVD.
Yes, HD DVD had 3x DVD, but Blu-ray also had the same thing.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring