Blu-Ray Myths or Truths at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Blu-Ray Myths or Truths

Quick question on the BR disk delivery (VIDEO) end user sucess rate.

Those who are delivering mac/BR burned disks wether Toast/Encore, have you encountered issues with the end users BR players?

I was told I should expect major problems with my "home burned" disks, as in 50/50 chance the play or not.

Could this be true? Please let me/us know how this is working out for you.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Haven't heard anything like that in terms of fail rate. Still it's really and sadly a very primative form of Blu-Ray authoring that currently exists on the Mac. I suspect we won't really have a viable solution until hopefully future Mac's have built-in burners and iDVD and DVDSP fully support it.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Mike,

The failure rates you speak of are referring to the first-generation BR players and *burned* discs. Just as when DVD was first released to the desktop publisher there were plenty of compatibility issues between burners, media and players; the same is true for BR and while it's substantially better we're far from current compatibility of DVD burned images.

For now you can use Toast 9 Ti (with BR plug-in) on the latest internal or external burners and have a better than 90% chance that the *current* iteration of BR players will use it. But as Noah points out, we're far, far away from a fully-implemented authoring app for BR on the Mac. Sad, but true.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Success rate is directly related to the Blu-Ray players FIRMWARE!!! Make sure your clients have the newest firmware installed and you will have a much HIGHER success rate on playback. Out of about 300 BD-RE discs, only one client had a problem on playback and it was due to OUT OF THE BOX FIRMWARE. Once she upgraded, problem solved.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Major Player

I thought so

Thanks guys. I know we are in a primative stage but just offering the "uprgade" makes my business look more cutting edge. I did not want to offer it and start having major issues.

Currently looking at the Pioneer BR burner. Considering buying the external drive case, pio internal and a sata card for my octo 2008. Any thoughts on this arrangement?

I recall Robert mentioning in an older post that we don't have sata connectivity with the mac pro for the internal drive bay. Any "easy" way to do this?

How are you guys getting the job done.

I did buy toast TI w/ br upgrade.

Thanks to all.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring