Bought a SATA Blu-Ray Burner by mistake at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Bought a SATA Blu-Ray Burner by mistake

Does anyone know what I'll need to convert my SATA Blu-Ray to IDE?

I purchased a sw-5583 BluRay SATA burner for a MacPro Quad. From what I understand, I cannot use the sata by the fan, so I'm trying to convert the sata to ide. Should I look for a 16 pin extension cable to go with a sata to ide converter? (The IDE cable in my quad isn't long enough to plug into available adaptors). If I went with a converter alone, it doesn't look like the ide cable would reach. Do I have to plug into both the 16 pin and the white plug in? Will that also power the unit?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

I've noticed that Panasonic is no longer offering the ATAPI/ATA version of this drive, however there is a "C" version which comes with adapters and a newer firmware specifically to talk to the added SATA port (NOT a HDD port) and the adapters to make the conversion.

I don't know where you bought your drive but maybe return it and get this one instead:

Panasonic SW-5583 Blu-ray(Single/Dual Layer... (SW-5583-BK) at OWC

Last edited by Robert Lane; September 3rd, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you can't exchange it consider purchasing an external housing for the drive and use it via FireWire. Other World Computing has a good selection of boxes for drives.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Wrangler

Can't you just buy an inexpensive US$30-$70 SATA controller? Won't that solve the problem? Or is there another issue involved? Seems ashame to downgrade the connection to IDE or firewire. If you're running out of space (by the fan?) maybe you could swap stuff around to make it fit.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
Can't you just buy an inexpensive US$30-$70 SATA controller? Won't that solve the problem? Or is there another issue involved? Seems ashame to downgrade the connection to IDE or firewire. If you're running out of space (by the fan?) maybe you could swap stuff around to make it fit.
The new Panasonic "kit" is designed to talk to the extra SATA port on the MacPro internal board. You can't use a SATA controller card because then you have no tray "in-out" controls.

The data-rate on optical drives is so low that there's no difference in communication between ATAPI and SATA, it's simply that SATA has become the internal peripheral connector standard so the newer drives are being updated.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Major Player

If I got a casing I could burn from my MacBookPro and free the Quad up to edit. This might be a possibility if it makes no difference between Firewire, ATAPI and SATA. I will need to get a Firewire hub though. I just priced the enclosure at $80! It would be a lot less if I went with USB. Should I even think about that?

The other possibility is SATA to IDE converter cables. I just don't know if I need both power and host interface. If I could get by with ordering these two cables and card, I'd guess I'd be fine:

Amazon.com: 6pcs BRAND NEW 18 inches IDE to SATA Power Cable: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Addonics ADSAIDE SATA to IDE-ATAPI Converter: Electronics

Amazon.com: Cables Unlimited - IDE / EIDE cable - 40 pin IDC (F) - 40 pin IDC (F) - 4 ft: Electronics

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring