BluRay recorder with ATSC tuner? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle

BluRay recorder with ATSC tuner?

Hi,

I see this Samsung DVD Recorder with a built-in ATSC tuner and HDMI output. There are some models with DV input, which is convenient for plugging in the Firewire output of camcorders and get an HDMI connection to the TV, possibly bypassing some of the inadequate video upscalers, such as that on my early (2007) model Sony Bravia LCD TV 52". Has anyone seen these in a store or tried them out? I'm wondering if the DV input will handle HDV, and most curiously, the Firewire output of my Sony EX1 which is at 35 MBps.

And dreaming on, has anyone seen a recorder with DV output to hopefully record HDTV ?

Here is what I have on these combination devices:
http://dvr.about.com/od/dvdrecorders/qt/atsc.htm

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; September 7th, 2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: new info
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Gints... This isn't a BD recorder. It's standard DVD. I have two of the analog units and these don't seem to be any different except for digital tuner and possibly HD pass-thru from the tuner to HDMI.

Even if it was BD, you wouldn't be able to record HD content in a digital form since most digital programs are encoded with a "lock" that will prevent it.

Your desired goal is still a way over the horizon.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Hi,

I see this Samsung DVD Recorder with a built-in ATSC tuner and HDMI output. There are some models with DV input, which is convenient for plugging in the Firewire output of camcorders and get an HDMI connection to the TV, possibly bypassing some of the inadequate video upscalers, such as that on my early (2007) model Sony Bravia LCD TV 52". Has anyone seen these in a store or tried them out? I'm wondering if the DV input will handle HDV, and most curiously, the Firewire output of my Sony EX1 which is at 35 MBps.

And dreaming on, has anyone seen a recorder with DV output to hopefully record HDTV ?

Here is what I have on these combination devices:
DVD Recorders with ATSC Tuner

I think the best way to record over-the-air HDTV is with a USB-Tuner Stick like the ones made by Hauppage and El Gato/Migilia. It records the HD program stream directly to your hard drive.

Miglia - Life enhancement products for your computer

The recorded stream can be then put on a portable hard drive and then played back through something like a Network Media Tank connected via HDMI to your TV.

ISTARHD INDEX
Welcome To Popcorn Hour

The beauty of these Network Media Tanks, are they will play back almost any kind of media file, which is includes TS streams from my HDV Camcorder...in full HD.

So instead of worrying about compressing/re-encoding/cutting your finished project to fit the files into an authored HD-DVD or Blu-Ray--- you can just play the file directly off a portable USB hard drive.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, I'm dreaming too much with the BlueRay recorder. I know you can record shorter HD programs on dual layer disks, and am wondering if any products out there support that.

I realize that you can't record HD, but I'm looking for something that is basically a DVD with upscaling to 1080i, ATSC and a photoviewer with a USB connector for a flash card reader or memory stick. I'd think that the USB photoviewer would be a standard TV feature, but it's not on my high end Sony Bravia 25" purchased in 2007.

I've tried both a QAM/ATSC PC card and the USB ATSC tuner for my laptop. The results are great, but now, I'm trying to combine boxes for my parents. Eventually, I too will grow weary of all of the boxes in the living room.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring