How do I deliver a Blu-ray disc? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Joachim that is great. It would be nice to know how many Blu-Ray players normal DVD's and Toast 9 burn will work on from a Quicktime file.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM   #17
Major Player

I would like to know that too.
Unfortunatly not many people have them yet so itīs difficult to try them out on different players.
The PS3 seems to play any disk thrown at it, so itīs not the best machine to judge from.

Again, I was amazed at how well the image looked. It was skiing in powder snow and the detail in the spraying snow was just incredible
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I guess the best way is to burn a short clip and take the disk to a place like Best Buy and go through all the Blu-Ray players. Not sure if they will allow this?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM   #19
Major Player

Thatīs a thought
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Only problem I do not own Toast 9.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM   #21
Major Player

It was on sale this Black friday, but itīs not too bad though around $80-100
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM   #22
Major Player

The original question was that the client wants a blu-ray disc, why do some of you telling him to burn blu-ray files on a standard DVD, that is not right, if you tell a client something then deliver the real deal, go out and buy a blu-ray burner, authoring program and encoder and deliver the blu-ray disc, if you don't want to invest in it right now then find somebody to do it for you, if you can't find somebody to do it for you, contact me privately and we can work something out.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Khoi we are just discussing the options. True if he wants Blu-Ray disk then he has to get a Blu-Ray burner but this is a forum to learn and we are just discussing the options which might help him.

Could burning onto a normal DVD for a test be cheaper then doing a test on a Blu-Ray disk I think so. So then once you go to Blu-Ray you could reduce your bad disk which would be a good thing.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM   #24
Major Player

You can buy a BD-RE and use it over and over, burn to DVD only gives you 20 minutes or so, and at low bitrate, if you really want to test, you must use BD-RE and test with the exact disc image you are going to burn for real and that include menus, chapters and everything.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Thanks Khoi that is good to know.
What burner do you use?
And what software?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM   #26
Major Player

I use the Sony bwu-200s burner, ProCoder to encoded and Encore to author, and have no problem with compatibilty with players so far.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Nice burner too bad it will not work with Mac OS.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #28
Major Player

Khoi - Are you saying that supplying a DVD with a blu-ray compatible file is somehow unethical? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
The original question was that the client wants a blu-ray disc, why do some of you telling him to burn blu-ray files on a standard DVD, that is not right, if you tell a client something then deliver the real deal, go out and buy a blu-ray burner, authoring program and encoder and deliver the blu-ray disc, if you don't want to invest in it right now then find somebody to do it for you, if you can't find somebody to do it for you, contact me privately and we can work something out.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #29
Major Player

I tried the FCP to Toast method a few weeks back and had no luck. I exported the video from FCS as a Quicktime reference file. I then opened it in Compressor and converted it to an H.264 file. I dropped that file into Toast and it recognized it, but when I tried to build the BD, it errored out. I'm not in front of my Mac Pro right now, but I'll update this post later with the error code. I did Google it and found other people were having the same problem. Roxio didn't seem to offer any ideas. Was this the correct way to get the video to Toast?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Khoi - Are you saying that supplying a DVD with a blu-ray compatible file is somehow unethical? Just curious.
Well heck yes, if you tell them that you are going to give them a blu-ray disc, then give them a blu-ray disc, not a dvd disc with half quality HD material on it, DVD media can't sustain 40mb/sec video data rate, all of my BD are VBR with up to 40mb/sec max bitrate for complex high details scenes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring