Creating Blu Ray on Blu Ray media - best settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old January 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Creating Blu Ray on Blu Ray media - best settings?

I've seen a lot of posts about creating Blue Ray using standard DVDs. What about using Blu Ray DVDs? What are the best settings? I have a Canon XH-A1, and I shot the tape in 60i.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Major Player

hi stephen, use mainconcept reference and use avc encoding, any of the templates work fine.
I use sonic dvdit pro hd to build blu ray discs and to burn.
works fine.
John Estcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Since this is a Vegas forum I assume you have Vegas. Just use the DVD Architect Bluray preset to render video, I like to stay interlace too, render audio( if you have room stay PCM if not AC3) then author in Architect and burn. It just works. Most of my programs are close to 2 hours or even a little over so burning to standard DVD is not possible. Bluray discs are getting lower in cost too and the LG Bluray burner I have was also a lot less than the first CD burner I bought years ago!!!!!! WHen I started making DVD's several years ago the burners and discs cost more than Bluray burners and Bluray disc do now. Stay with BD-RE for a while to make sure you don't make expensive coasters. When you have things sorted out make a BD-R and re-use the BD-RE. I have stayed with MPEG encoding so far as it is a lot faster and my programs are around 2 hours so no problems with disc capacity.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Most of my programs are close to 2 hours or even a little over so burning to standard DVD is not possible.
Ron, I'm curious as to why you don't think this is possible.
I've done several 2 hr. DVDs over the years and no one has ever complained about the quality.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The subject of this post was Bluray meaning to me HD and I was referring to 2 hours of HD on a standard 4.7G DVD. I do in fact make both Bluray HD and SD DVD of the same program. I use TMPGenc for the encode of SD DVD of this length as I find the encode is better than anything else I have tried. With multipass I have got 2 hours and 40mins in this way on a 4.7G disc with good quality. Its possible to get about 35 min of AVCHD on a standard 4.7G disc though not enough for my projects.

Ron Evans
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Since this is a Vegas forum I assume you have Vegas. Just use the DVD Architect Bluray preset to render video, I like to stay interlace too, render audio( if you have room stay PCM if not AC3) then author in Architect and burn. It just works. Most of my programs are close to 2 hours or even a little over so burning to standard DVD is not possible. Bluray discs are getting lower in cost too and the LG Bluray burner I have was also a lot less than the first CD burner I bought years ago!!!!!! WHen I started making DVD's several years ago the burners and discs cost more than Bluray burners and Bluray disc do now. Stay with BD-RE for a while to make sure you don't make expensive coasters. When you have things sorted out make a BD-R and re-use the BD-RE. I have stayed with MPEG encoding so far as it is a lot faster and my programs are around 2 hours so no problems with disc capacity.

Ron Evans
Thanks! This is just what I needed.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
The subject of this post was Bluray meaning to me HD and I was referring to 2 hours of HD on a standard 4.7G DVD.
My mistake Ron. Thanks for the correction.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Ron,
I'm in the same boat. I do a lot of 2 hr shows. My cameras are Canon A1's (HDV). Is it your impression that since HDV is mpeg2 and not mpeg-4, that DVD architect uses mpeg2 instead of transcoding it to mpeg 4? This way, you can get your 2 hrs of HD video on BR.

I'm just starting to use Vegas 8 but am a long term user of Final Cut Pro. Apple however, seems to have made a wrong turn early on and developed their DVDSP software directed at HD-DVD. Funny, I think Apple is on the board of blu-ray.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Inner Circle

David I use Edius to do the multicam edit then export a HDV file. Input intoVegas for final audio editing, I set markers and name them and then render from Vegas. One has the choice of using Sony AVC which takes some time to render, or stay with MPEG2. There is a difference HDV is CBR where as the render for Bluray is VBR. 2 Hours easily fits on the Bluray disc but if one goes say to 2 hours 15 mins I usually set average at 23Mbps, min 15Mbps, max 30Mbps. Render is about realtime from the Vegas timeline these are modifications to the Architect Bluray 25Mbps 1440x1080x60i preset. I also export an AC3 audio file too. These can then be used in Architect 5 to create a failry automatic menued Bluray.

Ron Evans
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Major Player

I think for my early trials I'll stay with Mpeg2 all the way and prove that out. With all the buzz around H.264, it seems to be easily overlooked that BR will still accept mpeg 2

thx for the info.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Trustee

I'm a just starting to create Blu Ray disc but would like to know what settings people are using. I have footage shot with an XL H1A and XH A1. Shot in 24f. I want to create a progressive Blu Ray and would like to use AVC encoding.

I've successfully created 60i Blu Ray discs using MPEG-2 encoding and they look great.

I'm very interested in hearing anyones experience with this and what settings you've used.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring