Blu-Ray Media? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old January 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Frys has Memorex 15 pack 25gb non printable for 59.99 on sale. That is down to $4.00 a disc.

FRYS.com
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sorry to brought this post up again.

I was wondering. Those of you who are using Verbatim (96661) 2X Blu-ray (BD-R) Single Layer. Does the disc has a Verbatim lettering, speed marking (ie. Verbatim 1-2x) printed on the inner circle of the disc? Because this will definitely ruin my design.

I've been trying to find s picture of the disc, but can't find any.

Thanks
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Trustee

I don't have that specific part number, but here's what part #95357 looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Blu-Ray Media?-verbatim-disc-95357.jpg  
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Ow. Thanks Mitchell. But I'm so sorry. My bad. I forgot to mention what I meant is the "Verbatim Printable Blu-ray Disc" BD-R.

Verbatim BD-R Blu-ray DataLife Plus Inkjet Printable Disc (Spindle Pack of 25). Mfr# 96661
Verbatim | BD-R Blu-ray DataLife Plus Inkjet Printable | 96661
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #20
Trustee

Sorry, I don't have any of those.

THREAD HIJACK: I've thought about getting a disc printer, but my peers have tried them and told me they are very slow and that I should stick with using disc labels. Thoughts?
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #21
Trustee

Desmond... The Verbatim media is not hub printable. I actually have been searching for hub printable BD media and have come up empty thus far. I cannot understand why unless there is some technical reason that I know nothing about.

Mitchell... Search the forums here on disk printers and labels and you'll have your answer.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #22
Regular Crew

So, Tripp. This Printable Verbatim BD-R is Full Face Printable? You were saying it is not a "Hub" Printable, right?

I believe the Hub Printable is where the inner diameter is larger thus giving us less printable area. For example, if we print a close-up photo of a person on the center of the disc, that person's face will definitely not visible because it is not on the printable area.

I'm looking for printable BD-R with smaller inner diameter for the printable area. Which I think they call it Full Face? (not sure). I'm not good in describing this. Others??

Mitchell. I use EPSON R230 here. Been using it for few years now for printing on a Printable DVD and CD. Works great. Took around 2-3 mins /disc with full face color design.
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #23
Major Player

Hub printable is what you are looking for Desmond. The Hub is the clear plastic area in the center.
Such as these link is for illustration only not an endorsement of this product or supplier :
TDK Blu Ray Disc 25GB Inkjet Printable, Hub Printable - Recordable BD-R - Increments of 25 at Discount Prices
Attached Images

Last edited by Bryan Daugherty; February 19th, 2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: to clarify reason for linking
Bryan Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #24
Trustee

Bryan... lord, that's dear. I can get the non-hub printables for US$7 less per disk in the same quantities listed on your link. I'd have to really want to get that face in the center to pay a 60% premium.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #25
Major Player

Yeah, that is a murderous price but it will come down as more of us adopt BD. I am sure you could find a better price if you look around, i was mainly looking for one that illustrated the answer to Desmond's query and that was the first i came across.
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Bryan, Yes. That's the one. But TDK is much more expensive that Verbatim. I don't understand why. From the link I post earlier, B&H has Verbatim for less than $10 /disc.

Is TDK made a better disc than Verbatim?

From the link you post here, I search for the Verbatim 96661. It's like what Tripp said. It is NOT "hub printable". Now I got that terminology right.
So, Hub Printable = Full Face (where we can print on the hub).
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #27
Major Player

Desmond, i am sorry to have thrown a wrench in the works. My link and attachment were to illustrate the terminology you were trying to get clarified. I do not recommend those disks specifically because I have never used them so i cannot comment on the TDK vs. verbatim, I was just trying to visually clarify the full-face vs hub-printable question. The link is not an endorsement but an illustration of what a "hub-printable" disc looks like. Sorry if I muddied the water a little bit. And yes, hub printable means you can print all the way to the hub. And now back to the thread in progress...
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I have seen some BD-R printable media going for ~$4 each.

I just picked up a Pioneer 203 burner along with a 25 pack of the $4 media.

Hope the disc quality is good.

This market should have even lower prices even with the brand names by the end of the year.

Once the burners start coming down and into their second and third generations I think it will start to snowball.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Media Integrity

Can anyone here speak to the data integrity of any particular brand? We will begin archiving HD projects to Blu-ray next week after the arrival of 2 LaCie D2 external burners (4x). We are looking at several items at Meritline. But I wanted to get some feedback on specific brands/types. The 25pk 2x (non-printable) spindle is down to less than $4/disc. Any advantage (other than speed) of getting the 4x pack? Any feedback would be appreciated as we need to free up valuable server space soon. Thanks!
Ed Hecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Sorry, I don't have any of those.

THREAD HIJACK: I've thought about getting a disc printer, but my peers have tried them and told me they are very slow and that I should stick with using disc labels. Thoughts?
There are a number of threads that talk about using the paper labels.
The consensus seems to be don't.

I know from personal experience that with changes in temperature & humidity they will over time wrinkle and generally not look as nice as when new. Others talk about the heat of being inside a drive can over time soften the glue and things move around.

Around the start of the year I bought one of these:

CD & DVD Label Printing, CD/DVD Printer | DYMO DiscPainter

I was sufficiently underwhelmed by its print quality that when the print cartridges ran dry I replaced it with this:

Epson Artisan 800 All-in-One Printer, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

I am very happy with its output. Very.

The Dymo Discpainter feels like a cheap toy.
The Epson Artisan 800 feels like serious hardware. It's probably the same speed as printing paper labels except of course you don't have to apply paper labels. And it really does look a lot nicer. You get the same nice glossy finish as when printing on Premium Inkjet Photo Paper. Color, sharpness, and detail all really pop in comparison to printing on matte paper labels.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring