Blu Ray burner brand advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Blu Ray burner brand advice

Hi Folks,

Getting ready to upgrade our PC, and just wondering which Blu Ray burner brand I should get? Saw this ad:

Lite-On DH-4B1S-13 Lite-On DH-4B1S SATA Interface Blu-ray Disc Writer

And I've heard of the Pioneer brand (from Videoguys) being good as well.

Best,
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't have any knowledge of that unit. My short list had the Pioneer and the LG on it based upon reviews and feedback. I didn't get the same comfort level with Lite On, but I have no facts that would indicate it's a lesser quality.

I got the LG and although I've only burned six disks thus far, every one has been golden.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm with Tripp. I have the LG as well and it's been perfect from day one, and very reasonably priced.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Guys,

Will have to look into the LG and the Pioneer then.

Best,
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Pioneer BDR-203 8x Blu-ray burner now in stock!

Once again Pioneer, the world’s leader in Blu-ray Disc, has raised the bar for features, performance and value. At just $229.95 the BDR-203 is the most affordable Blu-Ray Disc writer we’ve ever sold.

The BDR-203 Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer is the next generation Blu-ray Disc Writer from Pioneer. This BD/DVD/CD Writer will write up to 8x on BD-R (25GB) and BD-R DL (50GB) media. This writer allows users to test & author high-definition Blu-ray Disc content while also delivering the ability for high-capacity data storage. The BDR-203 can read BD-ROM and BD-ROM DL, read/write single and dual layer BD-R & BD-RE discs, read DVD-ROM, and read/write most DVD and CD recordable media formats.

* 8x maximum writing speed on BD-R & BD-R DL media
* Write up to 50Gbytes on one BD-R DL disc (that’s more than 10 single layer DVDs)

Videoguys' Blu-ray Disc information and Blu-ray Bundles featuring the Pioneer BDR-203 Blu-ray burner

Gary
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Major Player

What about the SONY brand burners? What do you guys think of the SONY burners?
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Major Player

Lite-On is still a good brand itself, all my DVD writers is Lite-On and I've never had a problem. I'm looking at the "external" LG at the moment however if thats too expensive I'm just going to get a Lite-On. I have never been overly impressed with my LG writers though, I always judge a writer by how smoothly the door opens and of course if it never breaks.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry if this just adds confusion but I have both the LG and Lite-on and would say there's little, if anything, to choose between them
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Major Player

I have a first-gen Sony Blu-Ray burner, the BWU-100A. It's good. I don't use it much.
It may not be the fastest on the block nowadays, but it will still burn a 50GB disc....and since I use it so infrequently, the amount of time it takes to burn a disc is not too concerning.

However there's much faster SATA ones now, like the BWU-200s and (I believe) the BWU-300S.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring