Current Blu-ray compliant m2v file formats at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Current Blu-ray compliant m2v file formats

Can anyone tell me what the latest Blu-ray compliant m2v file formats are?

I'm using DVDit Pro HD 6.3 and the list seems very limited - no 1280 x 720p at 25p!
Seamus Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Seamus,
Your right about 25p not being supported. seems inredible that this is the case as dvd supports 25p.
Your best bet is to render your project to 24p as this is what I do with my 25p footage.
Infact I just capture and convert to 24p at the same time if i am going to blu ray.
this link will show you the full range available though.
cheers john

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks John!

A couple more comments...

1. My Avid Liquid 7.2 captures JVC native ProHD. Can I configure AL to capture 25p as 24p?

2. Re. rendering to 24p, is that just a matter of changing the Timeline to 24p? That would be the handiest, because then I can have the 25p version for SD DVD (which AL exports to SD mpeg2 beautifully - no video transcoding at all in DVDit Pro HD) and the 24p m2v version for Blu-ray which, hopefully, DVDit Pro HD won't need to transcode at all.

3. Audio-wise, the Blu-ray spec, apart from Dolby Digital, seems to be PCM 96KHz. Is that true, or should it read 48KHz?

4. Finally, if I can get DVDit to accept m2v 24p without transcoding, I expect that would look better than 25p 1280x720 transcoded to 50i 1920x1080 (if that's the format DVDit might choose)?

Seamus.
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Seamus,
Im sorry I cant answer most of your questions because im a vegas user and i use sorrenson squeeze 5 to render for blu ray. I use VC1.
however i do use dvdit pro 6.4 and i would recommend against letting dvdit transcode your footage as it will definately be of poorer quality.
I use elementry vc1 files and dolby AC3 5.1 audio streams without any problem or transcoding, they pass straight through.
I capture using hd link from cineform which is how i convert to 24p.(it does a great job)
In vegas you can import 25p, edit in 25p then just render to 24p and it would work fine so I would think Avid would be similar its certainly worth ago, try a few short clips and see.
hope you get it sorted as no 25p in blu ray caused me a few headaches.
cheers john
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks John.

By the way, did you upgrade from DVDit Pro HD 6.3? The reason I ask is that it's not clear on the Roxio site what version the latest package is. But I do see that it does BD 50GB discs.

Seamus.
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #6
Major Player

no i didnt upgrade, I had waited for the 6.4 version because of the VC1 and 50gb issues.
I think vista was not specifically supported in 6.3 as well. but I cant remember.
Roxio must have the worst user support on the web as you used to be able to get an update by contacting one of their guys on the user forum, however hes gone and no ones taken over so im not sure how you can upgrade now or if you have to purchase this now.
all the best john

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring