DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Disney to go with Blu-Ray (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/36154-disney-go-blu-ray.html)

Don Blish March 15th, 2007 09:09 PM

Blu-Ray for mortals has arrived!

Seven months ago I complained here about "Limited Success: HDV to playable Blu-Ray"

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75505

Well Sony released firmware 1.55 for the BDP-S1 player to support user burned projects on BD-R and RE media....but only for BDMV projects. (those having menus etc.)

Meanwhile Sony Storage Solutions distributes the BWU100a drive with Cyberlink BD Solution software that seems to make only BDAV projects (simple ones with no menu)

So at another's suggestion, I purchased Roxio DVDit Pro HD this morning ($500) and by late afternoon had my oldest, 99 minute HDV project playing on my Sony BDP-S1. No installation hitches, Great suggestion.

I chose to write to BD-RE media as temporary measure till inkjet printable BD-R is available. Both TDK/Primera and Verbatim, I believe, have promised them.

My workflow was as follows
Footage taken by my Sony HDR-HC1 is HDV so mpg2 at 1080x1440 60i
Heavily edited in PremierePro2.0 with the fabulous Cineform 4.1x plugin
Output via Cineform as if to put back into camera: .m2t file at HDV's native 25mbps CBR video with 384kbps audio.
These archived files were broken back to elementary .mpg streams with REmux_TS (free from a guy in Japan, just google for it)
At least for my first project it seemed to want to transcode that back to 24mbps...so it took 6 hours in total. I'll have to see if I can skip transcoding in the future.
I flattened a Photoshop file for the menu (1080x1920, square pixels) and brought it in as a menu background and used Roxios navigational arrows and linked them to chapter marks I made. I had 20 chapter marks but only 9 buttons on screen.
The project played and looked great on my 52" 1080p Sharp Aquos.
The project DID NOT PLAY on my editing station's Cyberlink PowerDVD6.6BD software, but that application may only like BD-RE/BDAV projects. No big deal, I only edit on that machine.

Folks, Blu-Ray for mortals has arrived!

Don Blish March 16th, 2007 08:05 PM

Resolution

The post below indicates resolution on two fronts.
The Sony BDP-S1 plays user created BD-R/RE, but only BDMV projects.
The Cyberlink software with the Sony BWU100a only makes BDAV, so
I purcahsed Roxio DVDit Pro HD

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89040

Don Blish March 18th, 2007 01:25 PM

Update

See my post here on using this

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89188

Leila Alkadi March 18th, 2007 02:21 PM

when will there be a Blu-ray stand-alone recorder for saving my HDV videos?

when will there be a Blu-ray stand-alone recorder(possibley with a built-in hard drive) for saving my HDV videos?

(something that will be sold in the US/Canada)

Thanks!

Marco Levi March 19th, 2007 04:16 AM

Video clip hdv to hd dvd or blue ray disk ???

dear friend i use my hdv sony hdr-hc3 video camcorder , i wont product a dvd hd application as blue ray disk or hd dvd.
my sw nle is sony vegas 7 .
i don't know the correct procedure for make a file mpeg2 compliant with sw authoring dvd (move factory 6 plus) or (dvdit pro hd)
i hope you help my.
tkanks a lot
marco

Marco Levi March 19th, 2007 04:18 AM

Video Clip Hdv + Vegas To Hddvd Or Blue Ray Disk ??

Video clip hdv to hd dvd or blue ray disk ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dear friend i use my hdv sony hdr-hc3 video camcorder , i wont product a dvd hd application as blue ray disk or hd dvd.
my sw nle is sony vegas 7 .
i don't know the correct procedure for make a file mpeg2 compliant with sw authoring dvd (move factory 6 plus) or (dvdit pro hd)
i hope you help my.
tkanks a lot
marco

George Anthonisen March 19th, 2007 05:04 AM

I use Pinnacle studio 10.7

I do my capture/edit in vegas and I export to file as M2V/WAV. This is then imported to studio which has a HD DVD plugin that was specifically built to do what you ask. It's very easy... just put your video on the timeline, go to MAKE MOVIE, and choose HD DVD, set the bitrate you want, put a disk in your drive and away you go.

Don Blish March 19th, 2007 04:11 PM

No such device on horizon

I have seen nothing on the web to suggest such a device will be available soon, if at all. HDV2 (1080x1440 30i) will always have to be be made precisely Blu-Ray compliant and that takes lots of compute cycles. I would guess the industry would see that market segment satisfied by optical-disc camcorders: AVCHD on mini DVDs for now, 8cm Blu-Ray in a year or two.

Marco Levi March 29th, 2007 09:08 AM

from hdv with sony vefas for product blu ray and hd dvd disk.

dear friend, i am happy user of sony vegas 7, i work with my hdv sony hc3 camcorder, i use video capture video vegas and work with video clip m2t 1440x1080 interlaced.
when i finished my video i wont encoding it for make a blu ray disk with (roxio dvdit pro hd) or hd dvd with (ulead move factory 5 or 6 plus)

i have see a new special plugin for vegas (blu print) for make a blu ray disk.
it's free ???
i search a good solution for make hd dvd or blu ray disk with optimal quality image.
i hope your help .
thanks a lot and sorry for bad english.

:-))
marco

Don Blish May 3rd, 2007 10:03 AM

Short Blu-Ray projects on red laser/DVDs too!

The HD-DVD fans talk much about putting short HD projects on inexpensive DVD media...because there is still no HD-DVD burner widely available.

Users of Roxio's DVDit HD Pro have found an easy workaround to put full HD content of of up to about 30 minutes (single layer) in Blu-Ray/BDMV format, menu and all, on a DVD. Check here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=21074

Bill Edmunds August 15th, 2007 08:14 AM

Is Toast any good at making Blu-ray disks?

Just wondering if anyone has used Toast to make BluRay disks? How good is the encoding quality, and how compatible are the resulting disks with current BluRay players?

Josh Green August 17th, 2007 12:00 AM

kind of deceiving

The new Toast won't burn or encode Blue Ray video, just data. Their website is kind of deceiving if you ask me. I use encore cs3 to author my blue ray discs and it works pretty well i'd say. It's also the only program I've found that can author Blue Ray.

Tim Polster August 29th, 2007 03:34 PM

HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, No End in Sight?

Hello,

I have been looking at HD cameras over the summer and looking forward to the Sony XDCAM EX.

But the more I think about it, the camera is a bit of a moot point if I can distribute the material.

Every project I do gets delivered on DVD.

I am amazed at how slow the roll out of HD DVD and Blu-Ray has been.

Burners are just starting to appear for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is nowhere to be found.

This is sort of a nightmare for us small production companies.

The owner base of HD anything might be so small that we will never be able to justify upping our production equipment.

2 out of every 10 will have an HD setup, the rest will want SD.

I am ranting, but it seems like HD has been talked about for so many years, but we are still a ways off from it being a common distibution format outside of broadcast.

I have seen HD-DVDs that come as a SD/HD combo disc.

This would help out, but can not find any info about this being available for consumers to make.

Anybody seen anything about combo discs?

Laurence Kingston August 29th, 2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 736483)
Hello,

I have been looking at HD cameras over the summer and looking forward to the Sony XDCAM EX.

But the more I think about it, the camera is a bit of a moot point if I can distribute the material.

Every project I do gets delivered on DVD.

I am amazed at how slow the roll out of HD DVD and Blu-Ray has been.

Burners are just starting to appear for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is nowhere to be found.

This is sort of a nightmare for us small production companies.

The owner base of HD anything might be so small that we will never be able to justify upping our production equipment.

2 out of every 10 will have an HD setup, the rest will want SD.

I am ranting, but it seems like HD has been talked about for so many years, but we are still a ways off from it being a common distibution format outside of broadcast.

I have seen HD-DVDs that come as a SD/HD combo disc.

This would help out, but can not find any info about this being available for consumers to make.

Anybody seen anything about combo discs?

You can make HD DVD compatible discs on regular DVD-Rs with up to 20 minutes top quality video on a single layer disc and 40 minutes of top quality video on a dual layer DVD+R.

With Bluray, you can make what is called an AVCHD disc on a regular single or double layer DVD+-R as well. This uses the tighter AVCHD compression which will give you 30 minutes on a single layer DVD-R or 60 minutes on a dual layer DVD+R.

I would recommend you go one (or both) of these routes.

Tim Polster August 29th, 2007 09:30 PM

Thanks, but I was thinking in the other direction.

Making a disc which has HD & SD versions on the same disc.

A Blu-Ray player would read the HD or when put in an SD DVD player, the SD footage would be read.

This would help with the transition.