Blue ray burner reccomendation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Trustee

Blue ray burner reccomendation?

We've been shooting and editing in hdv for a couple of years , and have now reached the point where we need to offer blue-ray dvd's to certain customers. I'd appreciated any reccomendations on the best nurner.

We shoot on canon H1 and A1's, and edit in Adobe Ds2 and encore on a dell xps.
1- Do we need to be running CS4?
2-Which version of Encore is needed?
3- I read in another thread that there was a ptoblem unless you shoot in 60i on the canon. is that true? One project that needs to go to blue-ray is a 13 minute short shot on the canon H1, A1 and an H1 with the letus extreme, all in 24f. Will we be able to make that work?
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Trustee

I forgot to add-
We'd like a burner that also does tegular dvd's.
Also, what player is reccomended ( best budget).
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Correction-
The footage i mentioned was shot in 30f.
Bruce Yarock
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Trustee

It sounds like you might want to learn a bit more on the technical aspects of BD before your proceed. It's similar to, but different than DVD. It's important to understand the technical bits within the context of your authoring software. Whereas NTSC DVDs are always 29.97, it can "spoof" 24p, BD has more options, including 24p native. It's very dry reading, but a look at the BD spec can be enlightening. And there's always Wikipedia.

1- Do we need to be running CS4? No. CS3 will work
2-Which version of Encore is needed? CS3 or later for sure. I don't know about CS2.
3- I read in another thread that there was a poblem unless you shoot in 60i on the canon. is that true? No. I have shot using all the XH A1 frame rates without issues. Don't confuse editing with authoring.

To answer your question, LG burners have a good rep. I have and like one. Search the site for other recommendations. There are several good units out there.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, Tripp.
Do you have a link for some giid info?
bruce yarock
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Trustee

Giid? Is that in the original Swedish?

I've had my model for nearly a year so it's likely been superseded by a new version or at least a new rev. You might be better served by Googling for reviews.

FWIW, BD burners are commodities now and past the bleeding edge teething pains. I've heard of no issues with BD units that plagued the early DVD burners. I've heard of no issues with LG, Pioneer or Sony units.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #7
Trustee

trip,
ya "giid"...da original sveedish
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring