HD on red-laser discs for Blu-ray players? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HD on red-laser discs for Blu-ray players?

I think I already know the answer, but is there any way to burn HD content on a red-laser disc which will play back in a Blu-ray player? My wife and I just bought a Playstation 3 and I'd like to try playing back some of my HDV material from disc without having to buy a Blu-ray burner.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

why not get a rewritable disc and try for yourself? PS3? damn i need to get out more.. i thought this was being released march.. lol bit late for xmas.. lol
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The PS3 started shipping a few weeks ago in the U.S., with people camping out overnight for a chance to get them. They've continued to be scarce since then, until all of a sudden today we saw several for sale at each of two locations and grabbed one. So far it seems like a good game system/multimedia device, but I've barely begun to scratch the surface of all that.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
is there any way to burn HD content on a red-laser disc which will play back in a Blu-ray player?
I can burn HD content to a red laser DVD that will in fact play back on an HD-DVD player but not a Blu-Ray.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Major Player

I have been trying forever to get my ps3 to play hd using a dvd. No go so far.

That would be one awesome feature. Please post your workflow if anyone here ever figures it out.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible with regular DVD movies right?

If so, could the Blu-Ray camp be intentionally disabling this feature to promote sales of Blu-Ray burners and media? [I'm not trying to start a rumor]

Hmmmm.....
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu
Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible with regular DVD movies right?

If so, could the Blu-Ray camp be intentionally disabling this feature to promote sales of Blu-Ray burners and media? [I'm not trying to start a rumor]

Hmmmm.....
With sony, that is a real possibility.

However, sony has started creating camcorders using the avchd technology which allows hd on normal dvds. Supposivly, the ps3 and other blu-ray players are able to play these discs but they have to be formated correctly for them to play.

The only software I have heard of that can correctly format the dvds, comes with these avchd camcorders. I have heard mixed success stories on the net about this avchd software.

I just don't want to buy a blu ray burner right now, and I don't know of any mac compatible blu ray burners.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Major Player

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10867

This just came out[courtesy of MacCentral].... Pretty expensive
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring