Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd... - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Closed Thread

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #361
Major Player

Re: Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd...

The thing that amazes me most: Canon has created quite a stir with a simple, obtuse ad.

Thing that amazes me 2nd most: that nothing has leaked out yet!
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #362
Major Player

Rather its nothing that many want to hear has leaked out. Any hints about what it really is would be completely dismissed (or not even noticed) by those so obsessed with the rumours.

Steve
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #363
Major Player

Anyone knows if the Canon Nov. 3rd and/or the RED event will be podcasted...?

-- peer
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #364
New Boot

"Rather its nothing that many want to hear has leaked out. Any hints about what it really is would be completely dismissed (or not even noticed) by those so obsessed with the rumours."

Hope you're not drinking the printer cool aide! Fact: At least 2 cameras coming, and they will not disappoint.
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #365
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
The thing that amazes me most: Canon has created quite a stir with a simple, obtuse ad.

Well, before the 'official' announcement from Canon that there would be an announcement on November 3rd, there were a number of strong rumors circulating from at least 2 sources that Canon was about to release 2 cameras in November.

Those rumors stated that they would release both EF and PL mount cameras with the XF 4:2:2 codec.

These rumors stated that the EF mount camera would be affordable, and aimed at the same prosumer territory that the FS100 is in (i.e. no HD/SDI, probably 1080p), while the PL mount would aimed at a more professional market, would be more expensive (with HD/SDI out, possible 4K though presumably it would need a more robust codec if thats the case).

Those rumors came out before the November 3rd announcement, but did specify a November release from Canon, so it would appear whoever leaked the information had some knowledge that proved correct.

We'll soon know.
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #366
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Those rumors stated that they would release both EF and PL mount cameras with the XF 4:2:2 codec.

These rumors stated that the EF mount camera would be affordable, and aimed at the same prosumer territory that the FS100 is in (i.e. no HD/SDI, probably 1080p), while the PL mount would aimed at a more professional market, would be more expensive (with HD/SDI out, possible 4K though presumably it would need a more robust codec if thats the case).
The low end camera BETTER have SDI out OR a clean HDMI feed. That would break the deal for me... XF105 would be better for my application then...

Less than a week.... Lets go Canon...
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #367
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post

There's no way of knowing what has leaked until post announcement. It's really Red that has messed with people's expectations. After November 3 people can sit down and really look at what equipment works for what they shoot.

A lot of people are invested in Canon equipment and technique. It's not an issue of a response to an ad, but of a future direction.
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #368
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
It's really Red that has messed with people's expectations.
I hope for ALL of us Red continues to "mess with" the industry. If it weren't for them, I'm convinced the industry would have settled with 1080P and affordable S35 cameras would have been simply a fantasy.

Before anyone calls me out for being a Red "fanboy", I too am watching Nov 3 very carefully and I will buy the best product for my purposes regardless of manufacturer. If it turns out to be a 4K Canon, I will still feel confident that without Red that Canon camera that I just purchased may have never come to be.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #369
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
"Rather its nothing that many want to hear has leaked out. Any hints about what it really is would be completely dismissed (or not even noticed) by those so obsessed with the rumours."

Hope you're not drinking the printer cool aide! Fact: At least 2 cameras coming, and they will not disappoint.
What is 'printer cool aide'?
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #370
Trustee

Printer cool ade - appears to be a delicate mixture of 12 separate flavors.

Very exotic.

Very expensive to supply

Particularly the need to re-supply it with sweet, lightly sweet, extra lightly sweet, demi-sweet and semi-sweet cartridges in order to maximize the "tonalities" of sweetness you can reproduce.

(just joking, kids!)
I understand the quest for greyscale control - and applaud Canon for their search for the highest possible results, even if I can't afford to own and feed a beast like the new Pixma!
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #371
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brazda View Post
I hope for ALL of us Red continues to "mess with" the industry. If it weren't for them, I'm convinced the industry would have settled with 1080P and affordable S35 cameras would have been simply a fantasy.
Agree, Red brought S35 down to under $50,000, but I'd give more credit to Canon for (accidentaly) bringing S35 (ok, ok, APS-C) cameras to the masses with the 7D. Now we've got S35 for $5000.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #372
Trustee

An EF model and one with PL will be released with both recording to CF cards using their 50Mb 422 codec. There shouldn't be much else to differentiate between the two cameras.

There was some speculation that Canon would release a 4k camera when Jim Jannard apparently first heard about it from insiders and immediately came out and defended his cameras. Maybe someone was conducting counterintelligence in order to mess with him.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #373
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
An EF model and one with PL will be released with both recording to CF cards using their 50Mb 422 codec. There shouldn't be much else to differentiate between the two cameras.
Wow, that's underwhelming.
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #374
Starway Pictures

And it's inaccurate.
Old October 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #375
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
Wow, that's underwhelming.
If that was all that it is, would it really be underwhelming (assuming it is competitively priced)? Perhaps peoples expectations are too high.

If you had said a year ago that an affordable DSLR type camera was about to be released, without moire & aliasing, with XLR inputs, clean HDMI out (possible and hopefully HD/SDI) and with an industry standard robust codec (generally accepted by the likes of the BBC & Discovery), well that would have been everyones dreams answered. Whats changed?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems