Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd... - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Closed Thread

Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #286
Trustee

Re: Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd...

Ummmmmm.........anyone here that the Red Scarlet is going on sale Nov 3? I just read about it over on fxguide.com.

Also, in the same article, they say how they will be covering this Red Scarlet event as well as "the major Canon announcement earlier in the day". Nov 3rd is setting up to be a HUGE day for our industry. However, my patience will be put to the test with all of the Red and Canon fanboys going crazy over cameras they have never used and camera footage they have never seen.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM   #287
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
anyone here that the Red Scarlet is going on sale Nov 3?
Mentioned in this very thread about a month ago: "RED will be announcing on... you guessed it... November 3rd! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
my patience will be put to the test with all of the Red and Canon fanboys going crazy over cameras they have never used and camera footage they have never seen.
Just stick with DV Info Net and you won't have that problem.

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:28 AM   #288
Major Player

Whatever we have here, it's good for us.
Scarlet will likely be great, but it's difficult to read the Red forums gushing about prospective unavailable products. How do people do that year after year?
Will Canon give us video raw? Will Canon do more than 1080p? Interesting question here if Canon really "gets it".
Scarlet seems more straightforward as a 2/3 sensor with all the good red raw software. Canon's never made a big video specific sensor, so that's very interesting technically. Likely very distinct approaches by these companies, with many of us wanting aspects of both.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #289
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I expected the same (a video camera with 5D2 technology.)
I'm very confident it will be considerably better than that. Considerably. But I will be shocked if it's more than 1080p.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #290
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Scarlet will likely be great, but it's difficult to read the Red forums gushing about prospective unavailable products. How do people do that year after year?
for the record, RED has said that the Nov. 3rd announcement is for a SCARLET that is now done and ready to ship. final specs will be announced on that day.

looking forward to seeing what both companies announce, even though I'm not buying any new cameras any time soon.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM   #291
Space Hipster

I know the Scarlet that has been bandied about has a 2/3" sensor, but I wonder if RED decided to make a completely new model, with a larger sensor and interchangable lenses? It would compete more with the FS100, AF100 and F3, but offer RAW image capture.
Still, a 2/3" sensor, fixed lens camera with 3K RAW capture sounds pretty good to me.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM   #292
Trustee

I'm certain Canon's gonna give us a new cam from latest updates. Nothing else heard out, the folks on NDA r pretty tight about it.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM   #293
Major Player

^^^I don't see how Red could make a large sensor Scarlet considering the Epic-X costing $55K. Somethings gotta give to be under $10K. I think if you're Red you don't want to change the software side - I think Scarlet has to make redcode. So all I can think of is sensor size.
But really don't know.

I don't get Red's confidence if Scarlet is a fixed lens small sensor camera. Three years ago that was exciting, but not so much with what's available today. 3K, 2/3, and interchangeable is interesting to me. Not that they can't sell a bunch of these at the right price. But the whole 5DII phenomenon is about creative control and cinematic look. So was the Red One phenomenon.

I'm actually more curious about the Canon announcement. Their path to this point has been remarkably odd with the unexpected success of 5DII video. How does Canon exploit a major unexpected opportunity?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM   #294
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I know the Scarlet that has been bandied about has a 2/3" sensor, but I wonder if RED decided to make a completely new model, with a larger sensor and interchangable lenses? It would compete more with the FS100, AF100 and F3, but offer RAW image capture.
I thought the Epic S was supposed to be in the F3 price bracket. There's no reason why progress on that camera can't be announced on Nov 3rd together with the 2/3" Scarlet, there are markets for both cameras.

The 2/3" sensor size is great for documentaries. You don't need FF35 for a cinematic look, "The Hurt Locker" was Super 16
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM   #295
Major Player

With info that RED has announced, it will have two models...

2/3 sensor, 3k @ 120fps

F-SCARLET (Fixed Scarlet): 8x Zoom lens, full fixed. 35mm zoom range of 28mm-224mm. T2.6/F/2.4 throughout the full zoom.

C-SCARLET (Cinema Scarlet): Smaller package due to lack of zoom lens. Utilizes RED Mini Primes which have a "projected" cost of $900-$950 for each prime. Option for a C-Mount and a B4 Mount.

Mini Primes:
6.5mm T1.9
8mm T1.5
16mm T1.5
25mm T1.8
50mm T2.9
75mm T4

This is what has been... confirmed by red as much as you really can confirm right now, but it sounds practical. The price point for the F-Scarlet has been mentioned by Jannard as being around 6k (my guess, 6500-7000).

I too would be surprised if Canon offered something beyond 1080p, and from the pace of things, I dont even know if 1080/60p is something we can expect.... If they offered 2k @ 60p, that would be pretty good and bolster their position in the market a whole lot better... If they want to compete with F3 they gotta do 1080/60 or better...
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM   #296
Major Player

2/3 is nice for reach too. Nothing wrong with 2/3, it's just different than the big CMOS sensors that has received all the attention. Starting with Red One.

3K 120 fps requires a substantial processor package, which makes me wonder a bit about that spec.

I can't get excited at all about yet another lens type.

New Canon at closer to S35 size should have considerably better low light sensitivity than 2/3.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM   #297
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
I thought the Epic S was supposed to be in the F3 price bracket. There's no reason why progress on that camera can't be announced on Nov 3rd together with the 2/3" Scarlet, there are markets for both cameras.

The 2/3" sensor size is great for documentaries. You don't need FF35 for a cinematic look, "The Hurt Locker" was Super 16
Anything is possible, but November 3 is Scarlet day. Epic-S was conspicuously absent from Red's latest roadmap. When pressed about it, Jim Jannard replied, "The camera you want is at the end of the year." That tells me that the Epic-S as previously specced no longer exists, at least by that name.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #298
Inner Circle

RED could come up with any number of permutations, so no reason why they couldn't change the Epic S name back to Scarlet and complete on the price with the F3 and possibly the new Canon. Their new factory would seem to be capable of producing a larger volume than I suspect the current Epic camera models need.

What turns up on the day remains to be seen, but the demand seems to be for a new camera(s) to be hitting the street, rather than announcing future cameras.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #299
Major Player

It's funny I saw a post from Jim Jannard on reduser stating that people should be realistic and this is a Scarlet announcement, I think the rumour mill is going nuts with people expecting a camera as good as Epic for under 10K
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #300
Inner Circle

Indeed, there's a good chance that quite a few people will be disappointed by what both Canon and RED offer because it doesn't match their expectations.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems