C300 Demo: XXIT by Sam Nicholson at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 6th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

C300 Demo: XXIT by Sam Nicholson

Most of these shots were composited against a green screen:

Behind The Scenes:

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: C300 Demo: XXIT by Sam Nicholson

Recently made available for embedding here... thus the bump.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Excellent way to show off the C300. Just shows that these new cameras can in the right hands produce excellent results, especially under controlled lighting. It struggles a bit more on the exteriors, the dog at 081.5 is well clipped. So now we can see that there is no reason why anyone with cheap camera can't make a movie other than perhaps budget.

Would love to know what the savings on the overall budget was compared to using either a film camera or say Arri Alexa. That's not a criticism of the C300, great tool, but I'd really like to see some real figures. Of course as well as saving on the camera body, lighter and smaller grip equipment can be used, possibly resulting in a smaller crew. There is possibly a reduction in post cost as well. It would be nice to see some honest cost comparisons. I'm quoting for a project next year and looking at cameras, including Alexa, F3 and F65. Overall the camera makes a difference to the budget, but crew, travel, locations, post etc are a much bigger share of the costs than the camera alone.

Anyone know what the budget was?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

In this particular case it may be difficult to do since shorts can have a tendency not to have real world commercial figures. There are often favours involved, with facility and rental companies coming on board for all kinds of reasons and offering extremely cut price deals.

Dramas tend to heavier duty gear anyway, so I'm not sure if the Pee Wee dolly is going to left behind unless the budget prevents it being there in the first place. How big a percentage the camera becomes on the production budget will depend on the other costs, the leading actors' fees (and associated expenses), for example, can have a much bigger impact than the camera.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nice behind the scenes info. Still takes quite a crew to get it done but it seems smaller than I would have thought.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Many of the crew on a production have nothing to do with the camera. many will probably never even touch the camera. In this case there are multi camera shots, so each camera is going to have an operator and quite possibly a 1st assist camera or a 2nd AC acting up to that position. You can reduce crew sizes, but then it can take longer to shoot the same amount of material. The whole thing is a balancing of your resources and budget.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

But even on a smaller production with a smaller crew the camera cost may be only a very small percentage of the Budget. For the project I am working on, which has a very small crew of DoP, Camera op, focus puller, MoCo Operator, Producer and Runner, upscaling from PMW-F3 to F65 only means a 5 to 10% shooting budget increase. The project does involve a lot of location shots with international travel and hotels and these account for about 35% of the shoot budget. The impact on the post budget is similar. 5 to 10% on this project is quite affordable, so there is a strong argument to go with the high end camera.

However we are also considering the "ease" factor that a smaller camera will bring, so some thing may take less time and if that saves us a night on location that can be significant, so it's not a simple decision.
Old December 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #8
Major Player

The C300 is going to appeal to documentary film makers who are on the go and do quite a bit of gun&run shooting. I'm impressed but the 8 bit HD/SDI is a bummer on this camera even though it's 12 bit pixel extraction is going to make that 8 bit shine. I would still prefer the F3 over this camera but my guess is that the C300 will be better for back-pack travel in rough locations.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems