DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Nice C300 peice by Jonathan Yi (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/503136-nice-c300-peice-jonathan-yi.html)

Jim Martin November 29th, 2011 06:28 PM

Nice C300 peice by Jonathan Yi

I'm not sure if anyone saw this but it's a well done take on the C300 showing it against the 5D in motion shots, the different cine settings in various locations and how they work with skin tones......and a fun ending.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Emmanuel Plakiotis November 29th, 2011 07:24 PM

Re: Nice C300 peice by Fresh DV

I was just about to post the same video.

There is also a review frm the director on Canon's site:

Canon DLC: Article: EOS C300 for Cinematographers

Burk Webb November 29th, 2011 09:09 PM

Re: Nice C300 peice by Fresh DV

Nice find! I really enjoyed the moire and car mount comparisons (even though they make me want to go cry in a corner). The more footage I see the more it seems like a really great looking camera out of the box, lot's of people seem to get a good look with it.

Exciting times...

Sareesh Sudhakaran November 29th, 2011 10:11 PM

Re: Nice C300 peice by Jonathan Yi

That's some great low light performance. Thanks for sharing.

Kawika Ohumukini November 30th, 2011 01:18 AM

Great explanation and comparisons. Thx.

Murray Christian November 30th, 2011 09:45 AM

Damn, now I really want to see 'I Love Ice Cream'.

Dom Stevenson November 30th, 2011 10:07 AM

Great video

Having seen this camera rubbished across the blogosphere - including numerous unfavourable comparisons with the elusive 3 grand (err... make that 10 grand) Scarlet - it's great to see the C300 finding a solid user base. The footage is superb, and the real-world benefits of its size are huge. This thing makes high end docos a distinct possibility for one man bands, all in a flight friendly peli case. A truly stunning, game-changing piece of kit.

Thanks for posting.

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 30th, 2011 10:35 AM

I would never have entertained the idea of shooting docos on any large-sensor camera - but this has changed my mind-set...
Well done Canon!

Don Miller November 30th, 2011 10:55 AM

It does seem that across all examples so far that skin tones are very good, except for some ungraded log shots. To me that shows a good deal of color control and fidelity.
The 5DII skew example made me wince too.
While many of us might not be thrilled with some specs, it does seem increasingly that the C300 does what it says it does very well. A truly hi end image making setup in a single man-portable pelican case is perhaps the short explanation of what the camera means. The scene with the C300, no Matte box, and an EF lense shows a very small setup.
Great explanation of "why EF lenses" too.

Pete Balistrieri November 30th, 2011 02:38 PM

Very good video. It covered some pertinent info very quickly and was easy to watch.

I wonder why so many keep pigeon-holing this camera as only for TV and for docs. I have no dog in the fight between the C300 and the ScarletX or the F3 for that matter - but it just seems a bit laughable that before anyone is able to buy the Scarlet X [until this month] or the Canon - we've already stamped what they are used for.

Movies will be shot on C300 - just as tv and docs will be shot with Scarlet X. I know that - because movies were made with an XL1 and an EX1 and a PD150 etc.

It's getting old real fast. I wish someone would do a video like this for the Scarlet X - I think it would help a lot of people.

Good video.

Charles Papert November 30th, 2011 05:35 PM

The people who are pigeonholing these cameras are most likely not the ones who will be actually shooting the TV shows and movies that you will likely end up seeing in distribution. I haven't heard any of my colleagues dismissing or embracing any of these cameras based on specs alone. We will dutifully test them and make our decisions based on those results, along with anecdotal reports of successes and failures.

Interestingly, some of the people who have the most involved things to say technically about how one camera or another "should" look better are not exactly high-end users. Nothing wrong with shooting quickie :30's for local businesses -- I started my shooting career that way -- but poo-pooing anything less than 4:4:4 or 4K for that kind of application is kinda silly.

David Heath November 30th, 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Balistrieri (Post 1700572)
I wonder why so many keep pigeon-holing this camera as only for TV and for docs.

If there's any pigeon holing going on, it's more that Scarlet is likely to be better suited to work with extensive post grading (with time allowed for it) whilst the C300 will be more suited to shoots where the final look isn't far different from what's captured in camera. Ok, that may well largely correlate with the C300 mostly for Tv, the Scarlet mostly for films, but nobody is saying the divide will be all or nothing.

Sean Seah November 30th, 2011 08:46 PM

Awesome review, never seen one so entertaining! Canon just have to get the price RIGHT now.

Sareesh Sudhakaran November 30th, 2011 09:07 PM

It makes me wonder how the 1DX will perform in low light...

Allan Black November 30th, 2011 11:43 PM

Re: C300 Discussion

As the narrative says, 'time to get excited' .. if the price is right.

Cheers.