"When you find me" - Watch before the 19th! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: "When you find me" - Watch before the 19th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I've been shooting the 5D in those situations, and it seemed a lot less noisy. I also just got a Sony VG 20 that has a pretty tight grain pattern in low light, and that is why I was a bit surprised by several of the low light shots.
Hard to tell sometimes how low the actual light levels are, depending on the scene, you can get the same effect using lighting with 100 ASA film. It's quite possible they pushed things to see how far they could go, for example the 20,000 ISO used in one of the shorts .

Personally, I'd tend to hold final judgement until seeing the straight out of the camera footage and testing at various sensitivity settings and picture profiles. Although, the impression I get is that Canon is going for a less video look with the C300.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
... shouldn't think you don't need lights, because in the end the lighting is the bit that makes all the difference..
You've articulated it perfectly, Brian. Currently, my greatest source of professional pleasure in shooting (footage or stills) is "writing with light". Off the top of my head, I think the origin of the word "photography" comes from the Greek 'photos' = light and 'graphein' = write (although my memory could be faulty on this!).

I remember when I got the EX1R about 2 years ago and a corporate video client client saw how good my test footage (unlit) looked. He immediately said, "No more need to use lights!" He had to endure a long lecture for making that comment and I get your point about producers suddenly thinking they can save time and money by eliminating lighting because of the marvellous advances with video cameras.

What I was pondering while watching that bedroom scene was just how much effect you might be able to make with much more subtle light sources. I remember working some years ago on an indie feature with a DP who had rigged a marvellous little hand-held portable light (with its own battery). It was perfect for using when running around doing unobtrusive pick-up shots. However, the camera at the time (720p on 1/3 inch chips) made quite a bit of that pick-up footage unusable - the gain made it way too noisy/grainy.

With a camera like the C300, that shouldn't be a problem and I'm wondering how much more impact a more intimate and subtle lighting set-up might be able to achieve than what I have been used to. That's all.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #18
Inner Circle

The change to HD reduced the amount of gain you could apply, plus the cameras became less sensitive compared to the last generation SD cameras.

It's always surprising how much light you actaully need for subtle lighting. Sometimes it can amount to a 12K HMI coming through a diffusion frame outside the window, but inside a small room at the main subject it's f2.8 at 500 ISO and light just nicely drops off in the rest rest of the room.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:42 AM   #19
Major Player

It looks as though they've decided to leave it online for the time being as the YouTube video is public again.

When You Find Me – Canon C300 Short Film | Paul Joy
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Wonderful film.
Hopefully they will let us see it at higher quality.
They were brave making a script that required a good performance from a very young actor.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
It looks as though they've decided to leave it online for the time being as the YouTube video is public again.

When You Find Me – Canon C300 Short Film | Paul Joy
How is everyone watching this? I'm still getting a "this video is private" when I click on the video.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:00 PM   #22
Major Player

Looks like they changed their minds again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems