Alan Roberts test results available. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 8th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Alan Roberts test results available.

For those who want to see an objective assessment of the C300, see here:

http://blog.creativevideo.co.uk/wp-c...an_roberts.pdf

Happy reading and real information.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Alan Roberts test results available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roberts View Post
There are faint null zones due to
harmonic distortion, but the level is quite acceptable.
What is a "Null Zone"?

Last edited by Sanjin Svajger; January 8th, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: wrong quote name
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Impressive results across the board. perhaps a tiny bit noisier at 0db than I was expecting, but no big deal. When you see how well the C300 performs with the XF305 10 bit processing and 8 bit output, it does make you wonder what the next Canon video camera with this sensor will be like. It should be even more impressive, possibly out perfuming and Alexa with the right recording format.

A null zone is where the output frequencies from the sensor or processing cancel each other out. The basic ring pattern of the zone plate explores the frequency response of the camera and is a very effective way to measure resolution as well as any issues with image detail beyond the cameras design resolution. A camera should be able to resolve detail (or frequencies) up to the sensors designed resolution. But if higher frequencies (higher resolution detail) than the sensor can correctly handle are allowed to fall on the sensor (or if there are gaps between pixels on the sensor), there will be some points where some details of the image falling on the sensor may exactly line up with the sensors pixels and this can create false detail. It's not true detail, but a coincidence where the rings on the chart may perfectly line up with pixels on the sensor. As the zone plate uses circles it explores every possible pattern to pixel alignment. This false detail will at certain frequencies match real detail and the two will either add together or subtract from each other and may cancel each other out and this creates the null zone, seen as a series of rings superimposed on the original rings of the chart.
A similar thing can happen if you take an image and electronically enhance it, as you are adding artificial detail. More specifically, a zone plate should create a sine wave pattern (pure undulating wave) if you looked at the signal on a scope. When you artificially sharpen the signal it may get turned into a square wave. A square wave contains many harmonic frequencies, which are multiples of the original frequency. These undesirable multiples will interact with the original pure sine wave frequency and again at certain frequencies cancel out the original signal and at others boost the original through subtraction and addition. This is why you see rings, superimposed within the original rings of the zone plate.
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Major Player

To add to Alister's words on zone plates, their main use in camera testing is to verify the the sensor is not receiving detail that goes above the nyquist limit, i.e. half the sampling frequency of the sensor. To achieve this, the image coming through the lens must not be too sharp. Its normal with pro cameras to include an optical low pass filter to attenuate these higher frequency component sin the image.
As Alan seems to imply, unlike many other single chip cameras, Canon seem to have got this just right, with very little aliasing in the output signal. The biggest factor is that the C300 filter is set up for the camera's video resolution, i.e. 1929x1080, and there are no compromises that accommodate still photo images of much higher resolution. That compromise is what destroys the credibility of SLR video, forcing any serious user to avoid any scenes that have sharp or repetitive edges that generate an array of artifacts including moire.
Alan's is an interesting report based on real scientific measurement rather than reading specs., and then guessing.
I imagine that this camera will be BBC approved soon and available for use by those to whom shallow DoF is the most important thing in town. I only hope that any resulting TV work has other production qualities to be appreciated.

Steve
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
I only hope that any resulting TV work has other production qualities to be appreciated.

Steve
Well said, sir - I agree wholeheartedly!
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Im confused!

Are you saying that drifting in and out of sharp focus won't be enough to win me a BAFTA?
Matt Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Well, you might need to sleep with the judges as well!

Steve
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Reading through the report again and comparing it with his earlier F3 report there are some differences in the way some of the data is presented that I think are a little confusing and could lead to some incorrect assumptions. In particular the noise measurements where for the C300 Alan quotes -54db (with noise reduction) and the F3 -48.5 db, but then the C300 was measured at -6db while the F3 at 0db. Using Alan's own plots the C300 at 0db is -45.5db (without noise reduction). So as expected a bit more noisy than the F3, not less noisy than the F3 as you might first assume from the way the report is written. I am also frustrated by the way in the C300 report the similar RGB zone plate alias results are is noted as a good thing while the similar RGB zone plate results for the F3 were noted as a bad thing.

Last edited by Alister Chapman; January 9th, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Trustee

When I read Mr. Roberts tone in the noise section, he seems to be clearly evaluating the both cameras with respect to the manufacturers claimed S/N ratio. In canon's case he clearly points out several times that canon's stated noise floor is only achievable at -6db with noise reduction on, and with sony he's suggesting that they don't get even close at 0db gain to their stated 64db S/N ration. As the f3 can be used at -3db, it's possible that the camera could improve it's number slightly (or perhaps not), but certainly couldn't achieve it's claimed noise floor at negative gain.

In his comments, he gives both cameras really positive ratings regarding their noise levels.

I found the comments regarding aliasing with higher resolution lenses especially illuminating...

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
I imagine that this camera will be BBC approved soon and available for use by those to whom shallow DoF is the most important thing in town. I only hope that any resulting TV work has other production qualities to be appreciated.
This non sequitur seems like it's got some venom attached. What's the backstory there?
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Hardly venom. I have an ongoing observation that for many, shooting video with ridiculously shallow DoF is seen by some to qualify the work as cinematic and automatically on a par with the best of Hollywood. Focus control is just one of the cameraman's tools, not a style around which to model whole productions. I can't think of any acclaimed professional release that wallows in shallow DoF to the exclusion of all other cinematic techniques. It seems that at least one poster here agrees with me.

I suppose this is the wrong forum to comment on a fad that is held up by some as a sacred cow.

Steve
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
I suppose this is the wrong forum to comment on a fad that is held up by some as a sacred cow.

Steve
Hardly. I think that most people here would agree with you.

Regarding the C300, as I'm reading through internet forums and interviews and now finally mr. Roberts reports it's interesting to see what this camera would have been capable of if they wouldn't rushed it and thus gave it a different hardware...

@Alister: thx for the answer.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I too found that a little strange that the resolution and aliasing assessments were done with the zoom and the test results written with respect to the lower perfuming zoom, then subsequent tests found the primes to give better resolution with more aliasing. Assumptions were made about the OLPF and resolution from a lens that was clearly not performing as well as might be desirable. I'm not saying the results are wrong or incorrect, just I would have expected the resolution and aliasing testing to have been done with the best lens, not the worst lens. Clearly some tweaking of the detail settings will be needed to control the aliasing from higher resolution lenses.

According to his charts, the F3 at -3db achieved a -54db Y noise figure in Alan's test which is a fair bit less noise than the -48.5db of the C300 at -6db (without heavy noise reduction). I can't help but feel that Alan likes Canon cameras as he also comments on how the noise looks very filmic, which is unusual for one of his reports which are normally purely based on test results rather than subjective opinion.
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Perhaps a case of not so much rushing as providing the market with a camera now, rather in maybe a year's time. Looking at other camera manufacturers that time scale seems to be what's involved in developing a full new camera from scratch after the sensor is available. I Imagine Canon talked to people to discover their reaction to the current C300 and had positive feedback, so put it into production. After a conversation with one of their HD experts, I got the impression that the BBC may have been across developments, even though he wasn't saying much at the time.

If you're making a film a camera now is much more useful.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Hardly venom. I have an ongoing observation that for many, shooting video with ridiculously shallow DoF is seen by some to qualify the work as cinematic and automatically on a par with the best of Hollywood. Focus control is just one of the cameraman's tools, not a style around which to model whole productions. I can't think of any acclaimed professional release that wallows in shallow DoF to the exclusion of all other cinematic techniques. It seems that at least one poster here agrees with me.

Steve
Never seen it sacred. Lots of people do like it though. There's probably a production or two that use it almost completely (to the exclusion of everything else I couldn't say. Presumably they would still have actors). A couple of Steven Soderberg's works spring to mind. But I haven't seen them in a while.
Anyway there's some people to whom it's a marker of quality. But c'est la vie. Mostly I think what you're seeing is cameras that can do it are falling into the hands of a lot of people who've been winging it on autofocus or whatever for a long time, because that's all they could afford/all the school had until very recently.
You made it sound as though the BBC had some weird policy of lots of shallow focus at the moment and the c300 would make it worse. That was all.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems