What kind of lenses are you planing to use - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 25th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #46
Starway Pictures

Re: What kind of lenses are you planing to use

Thanks everyone for a great discussion. I've learned a tremendous amount. Cheers.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #47
Major Player

Any thoughts on Zeiss Ze glass? (for those of us who don't have a CP budget)

The 25/50/100 f2s all look rather good. Perhaps less than ideal focal lengths for the X300 and no IS, but the build quality, IQ and focus rings are all exceptional.

For those not heavily invested in glass, I thought these might be a good option vis-a-vis Canon primes. You're not paying for superfluous AF, and handling is superb.

I do wonder however, whether the more subtle characteristics Zeiss are renowned for (micro-contrast for instance) are retained in the comparatively low res HD image?
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #48
Wrangler

I have the 21 through 100 in ZE and have been using them on my 1D and 5D for the past couple of years. Optically they are essentially the same as the CP2's. They are neutral to cool compared to the Canon L lenses. I haven't had a chance to test them on the C300 but I expect good results. Note that the 50 and 85 are actually T1.4, which are helpful if you need a little extra shallowness--of course with the C300, the stop boost isn't as much of a boon as it used to be! I was forewarned that the 18 exhibits a good amount of vignetting and while this isn't going to be as much of a concern on an S35 sensor vs full-frame DSLR, between that and the T3.5 speed I opted to forego that focal length out of the lineup. I've since added a Tokina 16-28 2.8 to my arsenal and generally use it for the wide angle work and like it very much (although you have to use a mattebox if you want to filter it due to a projecting front element, not a problem as I always do).

If you do go the ZE route, Duclos makes a set of tight tolerance press-fit gear rings for them which are fantastic and compromise-free. Worth the investment as you won't come up against the "dead spot" where most aftermarket gears connect to themselves that can cause issues with follow focus placement.
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #49
Major Player

Thanks for your most useful response Charles - greatly appreciated. Knowing you're happy with your Zeiss kit is quite an endorsement.

Duclos also de-click the aperture dials on the ZF versions (Nikon mount), giving a smooth aperture wheel.

Do you think this might be a good option (coupled with a Nikon > EOS adaptor) vs. the native ZE versions sans-aperture dials?
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:19 AM   #50
New Boot

I'm also wondering about getting Zeiss ZF2's in a NIkon mount, and having them converted to Canon mounts and then have the iris declicked (and get the focus "teeth" put on them, etc.)

If you're using a ZF (instead of the ZE with a native Canon mount), the lens can't pass f stop or focal length information to the camera and its viewfinder. Also, you can't control the iris with the little iris dial on the C300....you have to adjust the iris ring directly on the lens.

But I like that! I'm used to doing that on my Varicam, and love the smooth change in exposure you get.

Also, ergonomically, it seems using an iris wheel on the lens would be more convenient. You could make a quick iris change using the same hand that's already on the focus wheel, barely moving your fingers. Without that iris wheel, you'd have to take your hand off the lens, and move it to the side of the camera to adjust the iris, and then move it back to the lens.

Anyway, for my lens inventory, I'm thinking of the following;

Tokina 11-16 for extra wide shots
17-55 for run and gun
3 -4 primes for general shooting and interviews (either ZF's or CP.2s, probably)
maybe a 70-200, but I might find that a 100mm or 135mm prime does that trick. The size and expense of that big zoom bugs me a bit.
Ellis Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM   #51
Inner Circle

I agree Ellis.

I'm finding the iris wheel on the back of the camera awkward to use. You also have a wheel on the hand grip which is better as you don't have to let go of anything, but this assumes you are using the hand grip. Shoulder mounted this will be a real PITA unless you use the Canon hand grip as part of your shoulder rig along with an extension cable.

It's strange how one of the things that differentiates the C300 from all the other current S35 Cameras (except Red's offerings), the iris control, is also in some ways one of it's great weaknesses. The way the iris steps is annoying and some lenses click loud enough to be picked up by most mic's.

I'm glad I've still got my older fully manual Nikon lenses, only trouble id the focus direction is reversed.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:36 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Has anyone heard when Canon will be releasing the EF 200-400mm zoom lens (w/built-in 1.4X extender)? It should make a pretty decent lens for the C300 in wildlife filming.

Thanks,

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Zeiss CP2 18mm on C300

How would a Zeiss CP2 18mm 3.6 behave on C300 in terms cropping etc (the site says it will cover full frame on APS-H Sensor - Compact Prime Lenses )
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Any one ever tried ???
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #55
Wrangler

It wouldn't crop per se....thus would have the same field of view as any 18mm lens on that camera. As always , it's the size of sensor that dictates the fieldmof view.
Old September 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Just received the camera and I am impressed. It is so small and easy to use, and hard to believe such a great picture comes from such a small package. Now I will buy a few other lens to fit my work..

Today I did some testing with my Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II and the picture is fantastic.
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Just received the camera and I am impressed. It is so small and easy to use, and hard to believe such a great picture comes from such a small package. Now I will buy a few other lens to fit my work..

Today I did some testing with my Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II and the picture is fantastic.
You so ri8 mate. It truly is a small wonder. Do try with zeiss to see picture quality on full throttle.
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Roger that mate,

When I go to Abel for their free training with the camera I will give the Zeiss a go. I might go for a couple for interviews.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:10 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Just got few Formatt Filter ... Soft 1/2/3, Enhanser, Grad ND0.6 & Clear !!! Hope they complement C300 Images thru CP2s
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #60
Major Player

I would love to get the 200-400 when it is released. Will use my 400 f2.8 IS USM lens till that time as well as the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, 24-105 for handheld, 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens from the tripod.

What lens are you using now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Lorenz View Post
Has anyone heard when Canon will be releasing the EF 200-400mm zoom lens (w/built-in 1.4X extender)? It should make a pretty decent lens for the C300 in wildlife filming.

Thanks,

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems