5 things about the C300 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #46
Wrangler

Re: 5 things about the C300

Quote:
I didn't think anyone considered the PD150/XL1 cameras as being "pro"--I'm pretty sure the term "prosumer" was already in use at that time.
The tens of thousands of professional videographers that make livings on them generaly consider them pro cameras. The term "prosumer" does them a disservice.

Quote:
And yes, Dylan, of course I was using that class of camera back then, why do you think I showed up on this site?
You weren't here just for me?
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #47
Wrangler

Dylan, you weren't supposed to tell anyone our little secret...

Anyway, I can see what you are saying about the prosumer badge.To me the term "professional" means one who is paid for what they do. It does get more dodgy when talking about equipment. There are some camera features that certainly feel professional, such as XLR inputs vs minijack, or removable lenses with proper servo zooms vs built in zooms with stepped servos. But of course, over the years the separation between manufacturer's divisions have blurred and an inexpensive camera can produce footage that will satisfy the requirements of the network engineers, etc.

Still, the terms professional and prosumer were used by the manufacturers to delineate their products lines especially back in the emerging days of DV, so it feels appropriate to refer to them as such. No statement intended about their users.

I just remembered how cool it was to shoot elements for "Scrubs" on my XL1 that were played back on a TV within the scene (mock news footage etc). Production loved it because it was a cheaper rental than a Betacam which was the usual way to do it, and I liked the idea of owning a camera that was good enough to pass muster for that application. When it came time to sell, I mentioned in the eBay description that the camera had been used on "Scrubs" and it sold quickly for top dollar! (along those lines, anyone want to buy my Steadicam used on "Act for Valor" and "Nocturne"?? haha).

Well, we should probably get back to the C300 now.
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #48
Wrangler

Oh yeah, the C300...!

I think I was saying, if you can handhold an EX1 you can handhold a C300 (If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!) It's nothing new in terms of basic ergonomics (a monitor and handle around a loaf of bread) and weight.

Damn, now I'm thinking how nice it would be if every camera was made like the HD100...
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
To me the term "professional" means one who is paid for what they do. It does get more dodgy when talking about equipment........
Still, the terms professional and prosumer were used by the manufacturers to delineate their products lines especially back in the emerging days of DV, so it feels appropriate to refer to them as such. No statement intended about their users.
Very well put. Unfortuntely "prosumer" has acquired a negative ring and that's a shame. It nicely describes cameras like the PD150, and if that camera gets used by somebody for payment - they are a professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
I think I was saying, if you can handhold an EX1 you can handhold a C300........
Ah yes...... but if you can handhold either of them for x minutes, you can handhold a HD100 for twice as long! :-)
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Just one thing to consider with the C300 is that the hand grip is towards the rear of what is a very short camera. Put a 24-70mm L series lens on it (as many will) and you cannot hold it single handed for more than a minute as all the weight is in the lens, it's really front heavy. Most handy cams have longer bodies and the grip is usually closer to the centre of gravity.
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Just one thing to consider with the C300 is that the hand grip is towards the rear of what is a very short camera. Put a 24-70mm L series lens on it (as many will) and you cannot hold it single handed for more than a minute as all the weight is in the lens, it's really front heavy. Most handy cams have longer bodies and the grip is usually closer to the centre of gravity.
True: found this out this afternoon. The hand grip seems to be on the right place when you shoot without lenses ;-)
I also think it would be nice when the hand grip can be adjusted, just like an EX1R can: push button and rotate.
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Put a 24-70mm L series lens on it (as many will) and you cannot hold it single handed for more than a minute as all the weight is in the lens, it's really front heavy.
Put the 24-70 on any camera it fits on, and that camera will instantly become front heavy. :-)
(and I'm not sure why you would ever single-hand a camera of this size, configuration and weight)

FWIW, I spent my birthday week in NYC toting around the C300 with the 17-55 2.8L IS. First, it's an incredibly useful configuration, I had no problems with the weight or size, (and I'm a wimp)...Second, I was able to get tripod quality tilts and lock-downs hand-held, and thirdly...when shopping for a "travel bag" for the c300...I've never seen such curious salesman at b&h...("can I hold it?")
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems