CAUTION: 3rd party lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: CAUTION: 3rd party lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Nope, I wouldn't read it that way at all... see my post above. Canon will never condone hot-swapping lenses. In this case, they're taking care of a customer with a high-dollar item. It is, after all, the right thing to do. But I really don't think it should be taken as an okay to start hot-crossing the lens contacts.
which does make sense, however the quote about 'trying to solve the actual problem' is what I find interesting if that is indeed the case. either way, I'm not crossing contacts ever again!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
I have been invited by Canon USA to help out behind the EOS counter at enough trade shows to witness this cautionary warning first-hand many, many times.
Canon USA is sorely mistaken. In the first place, even if there was a danger from changing lenses on a powered-on camera (which there isn't), turning the camera off wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. You see, the camera *doesn't* turn off. Get out your multimeter and take 10 seconds to check the contacts on your lens mount. You'll find that they put out the exact same amount of juice whether the camera is on or "off". I just double-checked both my Canon 5D2 and Nikon D800 and confirmed it. So if there really was any issue, you would have to take the battery out and wait for the capacitors to discharge.

Quote:
Sorry but no, Canon USA specifically recommends *against* hot-swapping lenses on any SLR, from the film days up through digital today, *especially* with regard to third-party lenses.
Aside from trade shows, where are all these recommendations? Canon puts a ton of ridiculous warnings in their manual to cover every conceivable danger ("warning: do not look into sun with remaining eye", etc.) and several that aren't conceivable ("When operating the viewfinder diopter adjustment control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally.", p.15, D800). So if there was even the slightest, remotest possible chance of an issue, it would be in there. But I can't find anything of the sort in my 5D2 manual.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:58 AM   #18

So what was the outcome David???
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM   #19
Regular Crew

All fixed by Canon months ago. Have shot terabytes of footage since then without a single problem.

Canon tech and sales were outstanding and, as I mentioned before, they all went above and beyond all expectations in finding out what was wrong. I couldn't be more happier. I'm even starting to consider my options for the C500.

Take care,
Dave
David A. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Major Player

I'm not sure that I can avoid hot swapping lenses, given how slow the C300 is to boot. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Fisher View Post
All fixed by Canon months ago. Have shot terabytes of footage since then without a single problem.

Canon tech and sales were outstanding and, as I mentioned before, they all went above and beyond all expectations in finding out what was wrong. I couldn't be more happier. I'm even starting to consider my options for the C500.

Take care,
Dave
What specifically was the problem that they solved? Was it a problem with your camera or a global problem affecting all models?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM   #22
Trustee

I have been hot-swapping both C300 and a 550d. Daniel's answer above is interesting. Why isn't it in any manual?
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:59 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
I'm not sure that I can avoid hot swapping lenses, given how slow the C300 is to boot. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
That's the reality. To power down and power up again takes time. Power down is 2.5 seconds and power up is approximately 5 seconds. So however adept one is at changing the lens you are looking at it taking about 10 seconds. With the power down time one should really count to 3 before changing the lens.

So if you are in a live documentary scenario these amounts of time can seem very long.

I was interested to hear Daniel Browning's comments about checking the terminals with a multimeter and finding no difference between the camera being on or off but I don't really want to take the risk of loosing the use of the camera whilst on location.

I had heard about the fuse blowing on a C300 from threads on user forums before I got my camera and most of the time I remember but there have been several occasions when I haven't shut the camera down and fortunately nothing has happened.

I think it is an inbuilt design fault with the C300 and it will be interesting to see if it occurs with the C100.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #24

Pretty rubbish for a $16k camera. Are Canon going to do anything about it?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:47 AM   #25
Major Player

This falls into the realm of expected user behavior for which one does extensive quality control testing with both ones own lenses and those of other vendors. Much like the current requirement for certifications of other hot disconnect scenarios such as USB and thunderbolt. There should be absolutely no requirement to shut a camera down to change lenses.
Old November 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #26
Major Player

I'm not clear on something in this discussion. While I don't own a C300 (but am lurking because I'm considering one), I have a 5D Mkiii and 7D and both shut themselves off if I accidentally push the button and start to take off the lens. ( I use both Canon and Sigma lenses). I've never had it not turn the camera off (or whatever state it is in when not on -grin). Does the C300 (and the C100) allow themselves to stay *on* when swapping lenses? That would be good, I guess, but not like the standard Canon setup on their DSLRs.

I agree that it shouldn't blow your camera either way. Likely this was a fluke. But it's nice to know that Canon did you right by working it out.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #27
Major Player

That's really interesting Al. My 7D does not turn itself off when I change lenses. Mine has the original firmware from a couple of years ago.
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I think something was lost in translation when this thread came back to life...I originally posted this back in March. It is now December. My camera has been fixed. When it came back (in April) I even purposely did a hot swap (multiple times) to try and make it fail. It was fixed. What ever the issue was, it was fixed. I think all the knee-jerking reactions, (especially 9 months after I first posted and especially by those that don't even own the camera) is uncalled for. I was an early adopter and I fully expected there to be some early issues (just like my 5dMII, just like my Nissan Titan, just like my first Ipod #1). And for the person who said problems with a $16k camera is rubbish, I think you need to take a step back and look at every single high-end camera that has ever been issued and tell me which one never had issues on Model #1 (some of us are old enough to remember the Sony D300 & D600's).

I think it's time for this thread to die.

-df
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #29
Regular Crew

And to reinforce Canon's position on this, why do you think the C500 is like this now? (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails
CAUTION: 3rd party lenses-picture-11.jpg  
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Fisher View Post
I think something was lost in translation when this thread came back to life...I originally posted this back in March. It is now December. My camera has been fixed. When it came back (in April) I even purposely did a hot swap (multiple times) to try and make it fail. It was fixed. What ever the issue was, it was fixed. I think all the knee-jerking reactions, (especially 9 months after I first posted and especially by those that don't even own the camera) is uncalled for. I was an early adopter and I fully expected there to be some early issues (just like my 5dMII, just like my Nissan Titan, just like my first Ipod #1). And for the person who said problems with a $16k camera is rubbish, I think you need to take a step back and look at every single high-end camera that has ever been issued and tell me which one never had issues on Model #1 (some of us are old enough to remember the Sony D300 & D600's).

I think it's time for this thread to die.

-df
David, I have to admit that until I read this last post I thought your C300 was fixed -- as in working again -- but you still needed to power down the camera before swapping lenses. I also purchased a C300 last March, and, based on forum advice, I have been powering down for every lens change, which is not convenient, because I am afraid I will damage the camera. After reading the end of your story, I think I should send my C300 to Canon now, while it is still under warranty, and have it fixed, so I don't have to worry about hot swapping. I agree that it is typical for high end cameras to have issues early on, but I wish Canon would inform owners when there is a fix.
Michael Turano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems