Can anyone give a report on using the EF-S 17-55 with the C300? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Can anyone give a report on using the EF-S 17-55 with the C300?

I don't have much experience with either of those so I'll just take your word for it. Just sayin, I just want my 17-55 to feel as good as my other zooms.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

I've only handled them at trade shows... and I'd love to own both of 'em.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #18
Trustee

Certainly it doesn't have the build/feel of the 24-70...but it also doesn't have the weight. It does seem a bit more susceptible to flare, but that may be due to the fact it doesn't ship with a lens hood, and I haven't gotten one yet. Sharpness is excellent. CA is virtually nonexistent at most f-stops. It does darken in the corners substantially at 17mm wide open, but as someone else noticed...the PIC should take care of that. Best hand all around lens for hand held work...I'm very happy with it. It would be nice to have a longer throw to the focus, (but in my mind that's mostly for use with a follow focus...)

B
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I think I might just have a bad copy then. I feel like mine diffuses the light too much, has poor sharpness, and the zoom ring has a tug in it when going from 55mm to 17mm, happens at about 28mm. I'm thinking I should trade it in for a new one.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Regular Crew

ive had my 17-55 for about 6 months or so, and i do love its IS and zoom range, but it definitely feels a little cheaper than my other zooms, and already has a few dust specs inside it, and i always keep it in a bag inside my camera case. None of my other zooms have that issue: tokina 11-16, canon 16-35L ,28-70L 2.8 and 70-200L 2.8 II, all with no dust.

That said, at this point I have two kits i go out with with the c300...the big kit, that one has all the primes and all the zooms, and the little run-and-gun kit, and that one is just camera, 17-55 and 70-200
Colin McAuliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #21
Major Player

Canon graciously let me borrow a C300 w/EF-S 17-55 lens a couple weeks back to test out for my NBC work. I unfortunately didn't get to play much with it as I was traveling for productions, but I did get some quick sots out of the system.

I'll try to post them later. I shot with some ISO ranges, as well as with C-Log.

My overall impression was the EF-S 17-55 lens is an awesome "run and gun" lens for the C300.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

My only complaint with the 17-55 is how the zoom and focus rings are opposite from all the L lenses I have. For "run n gun" takes a little getting used too.
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #23
New Boot

Currently shooting in Asia - we were on the Great Wall out of Beijing yesterday - lots of wind and cold. Traveling in same group with the legendary SI/Life photographer Neil Leifer and his long-time assistant Dan - but that's another story. A thrill to be around one of the greats.

My go-to kit for run & gun here has been the 17-55mm and 70-200mm 2.8 IS II. The 17-55 has been great, but wish it had a sturdier feel to it. Focus ring very lightweight action, and the lens doesn't have that "brick-like" feel to it that the 70-200 has. I've noticed a little vignetting @17mm at times - I see it in the XF utility window but not on my FCP7 browser.

Here's hoping that Canon or someone else steps up and creates an even better solution for this range. At the moment, the 17-55mm is the best option.
Jeff Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Seeing more of the vignetting at 17mm. When the IS is on and your running around, seems like as it compensates, you see more of the edges. My big reasons for buying the 17-55 was the IS and the wide range. It will do for now.
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Major Player

I've been using the 17-55 on the C300 for a week now. It's a great lens but it does suffer from hard vignetting on the left and right sides when fully wide and visibly dark corners right out to 28mm. These are not the natural drop off vignettes that peripheral illumination will correct, they are fairly hard and remain even with that feature enabled. The IS makes them more apparent as you can see them flickering in the extreme corners and on both sides when fully wide.

[Edit]

After looking in to this a bit more it appears that the edge darkening is actually caused by the official Canon lens hood for the 17-55. Quite a relief really but rather annoying as you have to buy the lens hood separately and it's a crazy price for a small flimsy plastic part. If you're shooting video give that one a miss. Enabling peripheral illumination does also help to remove most of the darkened corners with the lens hood removed too so I take all that back.

I posted some examples on my blog: http://www.pauljoy.com/2012/04/canon...g-on-the-c300/

Last edited by Paul Joy; April 27th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham King View Post
I think I might just have a bad copy then. I feel like mine diffuses the light too much, has poor sharpness, and the zoom ring has a tug in it when going from 55mm to 17mm, happens at about 28mm. I'm thinking I should trade it in for a new one.
Hi Graham, mine also has the tug in the middle of the zoom range, did you try any others?
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I just bought a new one and it's better. Still not L smooth, but better then my first copy. Going to sell that one.
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I have a question for you Graham. With your new, better built copy of the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM EF-S are you still getting the hard corner vignetting that Paul mentioned above when fully zoomed out (with darker corners all the way up to 28mm) or is it less of an issue with the tighter tolerances that this new one might have?

This lens (I have a very good copy on my 7D) seems to be an excellent walk-about lens for the C300 (from what I've read) with its 1.53x or so sensor crop factor (from memory), i.e. similar to the 7D's 1.6x. I'm curious to know of any limitations (apart from the plastic, non L build quality which I already know about). The one I have is razor sharp and the IS is terrifically effective and very quiet. I also have an excellent Canon 10-22mm F3.5 USM EF-S, which I understand does not vignette on the C300.

Just trying to work out what will work well on the C300 that's in my current lens collection!
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Andy, if I read Paul's blog & post correctly he is not seeing any vignetting with the lens hood removed.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I always use the Canon hood with the 17-55. I have not had any vignetting problems at all. I am shooting with peripheral illumination on of course. But either way, the hood doesn't seem to make a difference.
Graham King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems