Should I pull the trigger on a C300? Is this the right choice for me? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Should I pull the trigger on a C300? Is this the right choice for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart OSteen View Post
I actually meant the A/B settings on the 3 under the handle, which allows you to change zoom, focus, white balance, and a bunch of other things between two preset shots. I'll miss that. It was useful at times.
Oh right, that was a very cool feature. Can't say I used it often but it was powerful. I wonder if something similar will be possible with the WiFi iPhone/iPad control.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #17
Wrangler

Not on my life would I buy a camera this close to NAB. Wait 2 weeks.
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:55 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Waiting for NAB is stunningly good advice. That's what I'll do. Thanks all.
Stuart OSteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

As its so close to NAB it is worth waiting that said we own a Canon C300 and love it. I think with the type of work your are doing and the amounts of money your working with, at the moment, unless something else comes out, it makes the most sense for you.

Excellent build quality, reliable, meets broadcast standards and EF mount are all good reasons that make this camera worth it if you can justify the cost.

Regarding the FS700, like others have said it does sound a bit too good and would actually destroy the current cameras including Sonys own F3 and F100 which after being only one year old I cant see them doing, surelly it would be a waste of all the R&D they did on those cameras and its 1080p sensor.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
If you can wait til NAB, there's strong rumors of a "Super FS100." ND filters, SDI, possibly even 4K.
Rumors, of course,
Very suspect.....the camera would undercut the F3....with Sony's tiered price structure, I doubt they would have these rumored features at that price point.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Major Player

Is not NAB yet and the equation has changed already. The nano flash is $2000 as of today.

http://www.dvinfo.net/news/nanoflash...reduction.html
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM   #22
Space Hipster

And here's Sony's new 4K camera!
Is it a better deal than the C300? You decide. It sure is cheaper:

Sony Expands NXCAM Line With NEX-FS700U at DV Info Net
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Well. I'm gobsmacked. If the FS-700 is even a fraction of what it's cracked up to be, it's a real game changer. I'd need to get an external EVF, because I sometimes have to put the camera higher than my head while I'm outdoors (otherwise, and external monitor would do), I'd have to buy an external recorder and an EF lens adapter, but ... wow.

I suspect that it won't record internally to a very usable codec at a decent bit rate, and that its sensitivity at a given noise level won't be as good as with the C300, but I can probably live with that. Maybe.

I wonder what Sony is thinking? Are they just trying to get this camera so far ahead of the competition at this price point that they corner the market at this level? Who knows? Regardless, I'd expect the asking price on the C300 to plummet if all of these specs don't come with a gotcha somewhere.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM   #24
Space Hipster

It's still an internal AVCHD 4:2:0 codec. At least it has an SDI now. The question is - how will the 4K signal come out?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Really, Glen, I don't care all that much about 4k except for resale purposes in a few years. Given the size of the sensor, it must be using a Bayer filter to create the 4k, and unless I have my concepts wrong, that would mean upsizing to 4k from an RGB signal that couldn't possibly be 8 megapixels per channel. Surely, there will be software to do that before long, if I need it, which I probably won't for many years, yet.

I thought it was probably 4:2:0, but if I go ahead and get the external capture device, I should be able to get 4:2:2 at a decent bit rate, right? More money, of course, along with the EVF, but it might still be worth it for the overcranking.

Honestly, what I REALLY hope happens is that the C300 (and maybe the F3) comes down in price quickly because of this new beast. I understand that there's now an electronic mount on the e mount that does most of the things with EF lenses that the C300 will do, so that's a plus. And, like I said, the 4K designation might mean something on resale in a few years when every handheld camcorder from Best Buy will have 4k capability (upsized, of course). So, tough choice. Wish I hadn't cancelled my trip to NAB, though.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM   #26
Major Player

I think the road to NAB will bring more surprises, so it's better if you hold your horses until then...
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

A member has suggested that a number of responses here which talk specifically
about the Sony FS700 and do not relate to the Canon C300, be split off into their
own thread and moved to the FS700 forum. That suggestion has been acted upon,
and the location of that new FS700 topic is:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...t-4k-more.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #28
Tourist

And today ladies and gents, I bought a Sony PMW-F3 RGB444, optitek FZ to EF with iris control, Gemini 4:4:4, Sony case, BP-U90 battery everything brand new for (drums rolling) $2500 shipped.

Now to the OP, going back in time to sell it all to you for $8k

Merry Christmas Everyone!

-on this time capsule thread-
Krisi Luttinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:45 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham King View Post
Get the C300, you will love it. C'mon man, I shoot frikkin weddings and it's the right camera for me. I'm sure others will chime in with more thoughtful advice.
Hi Graham,

I'm considering the C200 and was wondering if you'd be willing to answer a question. Do you use just the C300 for weddings or do you complement it with other cameras? I currently shoot with two XF300s and want to trim down to DSLRs or the C200 and maybe just one XF300.

Thanks in advance sir.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems